I need some ventillation ideas!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anna_MN, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    My father and I just built my coop and it needs some ventillation for the upcoming winter. Lucky for the girls the weather has been cooperating so they can have their doors open all day. Here are some pictures of the coop for your reference-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We will be adding two more windows to the front, steel, and an aviary. I have two air vents from a construction job that my dad and I nabbed up. They are 1ft x 1ft, not really sure if they will work. Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Flock Runner

Flock Runner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    what do you mean by ventalation ideas ? i'm not quite sure on the ventalation requirements myself but if you want a good oppinion storries guide to raising chickens (its a book) has some nice ideas.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since you boxed in the eaves, you could either remove the boxing material and replace it with a continuous perforated or screening product or you could take hole saw and drill a 4" hole between each roof rafter in the eave boxing soffit. Either way would be pretty straightforward.

Air will enter on the low side, travel upward, along the ceiling and exit out the higher eave holes.

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put vents on the overhang in front and back. They would go between the roof rafters. You can screen them from the inside or buy 3 x 12 vent covers that have screening on them. If you insulate the ceiling there are styrofoam soffit vent panels that allow the insulation to go around them while keeping the airflow open.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) * * * Nesting with 5 Australorp and 5 Lt. Brahma hens plus 'The Count of Monte Cristo' - or Monte, for short - one beautiful, well-behaved, hard-working, Australorp rooster, in south-est, central-est Wisconsin.

5. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Fred's Hens :

Since you boxed in the eaves, you could either remove the boxing material and replace it with a continuous perforated or screening product or you could take hole saw and drill a 4" hole between each roof rafter in the eave boxing soffit. Either way would be pretty straightforward.

Air will enter on the low side, travel upward, along the ceiling and exit out the higher eave holes.

Unfortunately, my ceiling is insulated. How could I make it work then? I like your 4" hole idea!​

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I think you have something here that needs to be thought out pretty well. It looks to be way past the time to worry about ventilation. With what you have as of now, and considering the wall are most probably insulated, I would look at installing one of those turbine vent in the roof. I know it would entail working with the insulation there and probably doing some type of framing there, but I would rather do that then doing the eves or the sides.

I guess really it's just how much work you're willing to do and how efficent you want to make it. Whatever you do looks like snow will have to be worked around also.

8. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I think we have it figured out...well my dad does [​IMG] He is going to install two vents on the very top corner of the right and left side of the coop. He wanted something that I could open and close when it's either downpouring or a blizzard so it doesn't get super wet inside. I wish we would've thought of this while we were building!!! I guess that's what happens when you're a newbe and so is your carpenter [​IMG] Oh well, atleast I have my BYC friends to help me out! Thanks everyone [​IMG] I'll post pictures when we have it done so you can all tell me if it will make the cut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by