I need someone to advise me about dairy goats.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PeuAPeu, Apr 9, 2012.

1. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    This year I am focusing on the chickens but next year I would like to expand and have some dwarf dairy goats. I really would like to find someone who can advise me how to prepare for them and what to expect. dairy goats are something no one in my family has experience with. I would like guidance from the get go if someone is willing to adopt me/take me under their wing.

Kimberly
    [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    We are on our second year with Nubian Goats, a dairy breed. They just kidded a few weeks ago and we are milking them. Oh it's such a huge learning game! I have a book that I would recommend http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide...sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334026583&sr=8-1-spell
    It has been a great resource for us, great book! Read up...do your research! You'll need a place to hold them, with "Good" fences. We are going to have to have redo our entire fence in the pasture next year, they keep breaking it. Oh and all gates need to have chains and locks, they love to escape, they are smart little buggers! Good luck, I love my goats!
    [​IMG]
    Bessy and her doeling Lucy!

[​IMG]
    Bessy's kids, her buckling Lucky and doeling Lucy!
    [​IMG] Daisy...Bessy's 2 yr old kid. Daisy kidded her first this year and it died!

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Lots of folks here with dairy goats! Mine are Nubian with a dash of Kiko for worm resistance, and mothering skills, plus kids that jump up as soon as they are born and start nursing ! Fences are crucial, and look into what to seed your pastures with for your area. I suggest the Master Meat Goat course , check with your county extension agent. Lots to learn, especially about parasites . Good luck;-) Deb

4. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Well you have both been encouraging. I live on about 2 acres and I want to make the most of the area I have. What type of fencing will I need and how high should it be?

5. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    When we redo our fence, we will be using cedar logs with panels. Similar to this photo below. The hieght depends on breed...my oberhasli buck can jump most fences like they aren't even there, so my fences will be pretty high.

[​IMG]

6. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I was thinking about doing Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats. I've found a few places in Alabama that have this breed for their farm. I've also been trying to read a little about them. Is this a good breed for dairy goats? I also wanted to know, should I only get females? I read somewhere that you can do this and just have your doe breed with a male from another farm. Or is it better to have a male too?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    A great breed for milk, so long as the lines you get your does from are bred for milk. Udder capacity, big teats, large teat orifices, etc.

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    If you are just starting out, I would wait to get your own buck. They can be a bit of a handful from what I have read and heard. We have had 2 pigmy whethers in the past though, and our nubian boy will be castrated next month. We have a lot of connections for bucks though with 4-h and our goaty vet neighbor. [​IMG] Of course, it is never too easy finding a buck who will improve your herd, is the same breed (if you want), and we need to find one who is also registered.

Heidi, our alpine doeling, is 9 weeks today. She is crazy, climbing trees and our chicken coops. I hope she calms down enough to be shown. LOL Also, I wouldn't want her running around like that with babies in there. Of course I might be jumping the gun a bit. However, my sister might be getting a 5 year old bred doe from our leader. The baby will either be half la mancha or full nubian. Both her bucks got out, so it would be a gamble if we decided to get her. I am super excited for all the raw goats milk though, and it would be nice to let mama raise the babies. I love my bottle kids, but they are getting too big! Good luck!

9. PeuAPeu

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I was curious about goats milk. Do you all drink yours raw or do any of you pasteurize your own? I have IBS and have heard I may be able to tolerate it better than cow's milk. Maybe a slightly less amount of lactose or because of the hormones and antibiotics they add to the cows milk. Do you all do anything else with your goats milk like make soaps, cheese, etc?

I e-mailed the owners of the goat farm that is near me. They are about 30 minutes away. I would like to develop a relationship with the people I may purchase from and see if they can provide any guidance. If I don't feel they are friendly and only treat it as a business and are not personable, I would not want to purchase from them. We'll see what happens.

10. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah

We have drank both, I prefer pasterized. What they eat will determine the taste of the milk too, that's something to aware of. We feed ours strictly hay and grain and thier milk is great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by