I need suggestions on a new rooster!!

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
Ok, so someof you know, I lost my little Jack. I miss him so much. It just isnt right not hearing his little crow everyday. So I think I would ike to get a standard size roo in the spring. I have 7 Buff Orpingtons and would like to have a diferent type of roo. I am not planning on hatching any eggs, so cross breeding wont be an issue here!!

What are some of the best breeds where the Roos are gentle and would make great pets. My main fear is getting a standard and having it be mean. I would like to order one in the spring in a group order at my local feed store.

Any suggestions??

I have a splash orp roo who is just wonderful. I sure you wouldnt have any problems getting a roo on here from a BYC member. That way you'd know his personality.

Sorry about your Jack......I hope he has a safe journey!
smile.png

Silkies, Orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds are some of the friendliest breeds there is. But, generally, all roos are aggressive, but some of these breeds' calm personalities can help a little............
big_smile.png

Good luck!

I was thinking maybe a Blue Orp, Suede is just Beautiful!!! Very impressive!
He doesn't need to be a different breed I guess....more of just a big beautiful guy! My husband would like to have a different color than the buffs.
I work down at the Tractor Supply and I have had a lot of my customers say that roosters are never friendly and/or pets. Jack was a friendly little guy! He never tried to go after us! He followed us around al the time!
I guess my main concern is my kids. I don't want one that will attack my kids..lol. I raised all my girls in the living room with lots of holding and cuddling. They are cuddlebugs to this day! If i raise him the same way, would he be just as sweet?

Lyndatu- Thank you..I am sure he is happy now!

Now with the Feather footed breeds, what kind of care is needed for their feet? I would imagine they would get all kinds of stuff stuck in there!

What are the odds of the end result being a friendly boy? I am scred to get another banty...I don't want to lose another little guy!! The Kestral has not returned since that day. Maye it was just his size meal.

I think Faverolles are often one of the nicer roos, too. There are a lot of good choices available. I hope you get a really nice boy the first time. Some breeders are known for having especially good temperaments in their birds, either here on BYC or particular show breeders. That might be an option for you, too.

Back
Top Bottom