I need THE perfect coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NHchicks, Feb 16, 2011.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I'm sick of my coop. It's too small and hard to maneuver in, even tho it's a nice (little) one. I want one that houses around 20 birds, something roomy and sturdy and solid for winter and most of all, comfortable for the birds. If anyone knows of the perfect coop, can you post the photo/picture?

- Signed, I Can't Stand My Coop Anymore

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  3. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    I'm thinking something along this line.

http://abcsheds.com/fullsize.php?gallery_id=9

Cute, big, windproof. Just pop a few windows in there, some ventilation. Put in some ladder roosts and a few nesting boxes...

Big doors, easy to clean out.

Thoughts? (I should add, no run necessary, these are free rangers)

(We're talking wish list here; I don't have $2500 to plop down on a coop right now; just dreaming)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I went form the little one to the big one and I love it,going to build onto it this spring so I can put my silkies in there to,they are in the little one now and its so hard on my back to do the chores in there.I`ll post pics of the inside of the big one. [​IMG]

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] roosts on two sides and a back door for air and light,it goes right out into the run

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] nesting boxes and feed box

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] back door and out into one of the runs

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Dh building poop boards under the roost,great idea,he had a lot of help from the girls [​IMG]

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

For details, visit ]'My BYC Page'. My coop is 8 x 16. You could do an 8 x 12 and be fine space-wise. Ventilation, properly designed poop boards, covered outside roosts, and deep litter all make for easy just-minutes- a-day upkeep and once-a-year cleaning. (That V-shaped thing in foreground was part of a tempy fence, now gone)

Gerry [​IMG]

10. NHchicks

May 13, 2010
    Henny Penny, That is a great idea. I really like how you connected your old little coop and your new bigger one, with a run in between. Plus, that leaves your little coop available for a nursery for a broody and chicks. Plus, I like the design like yours where you walk in, it's just one big room, easy access in and out to make easier cleaning, a few ladder roosts and a few nest boxes, and your poop boards look great too.

And then gsim, you have the same type of shed-like coop and I'm thinking I like those the best, for the reasons stated above. You did a great job on that too, if you made it, architectural shingles and all. (My husband also put those on our little coop - aesthetics were the most important thing to him - I just want something comfortable and functional.) Actually, I don't think my house is as well built as your coop looks. Ha.

Great ideas. Now I have to lasso that moon and try to make a reality here. Thx.

Edit: gsim, I see from your page that your coop ran you around $1800. I'm sure it was a bit of labor too. Makes the $2500 shed-type coop I linked above not seem so unreasonable. Granted, it would have to be adjusted a little. After reading your great description of how you built your coop, I just wondered, you weren't by chance an engineer before you retired were you? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by