i need to build a coop for 30 rhode island red laying hens (HELP!!!!!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RockyPhoenix, Aug 9, 2009.

1. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    okay so im kinda on a limited budget but i dont want it to look like a shack something nice but not like victorian fancy house........ya kno like a chicken coop......well oobviously it has to house 30 laying hens and possibly more (ill probaby be wanting more...lol) any ideas (you can post pictures...tht would be very helpful!!)

THANK YOU!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. BroomFarm

BroomFarm In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    Rocky,

After going through all the work of building a chicken coop from scratch and then seeing my neighbor convert part of his barn for much less time and money, I would do what several folks on here have done and by a used mini-barn to modify into a coop. For 30 birds, I would suggest no less than a 10' X 12' unit and 12' X 12', if you can find it. There is a place near us who always has a few for sale, but 12 foot square is pretty big.

If you can get the mini-barn cheap enough, I would recommend putting in a concrete pad for the floor. This will make securing it from predators and vermin a lot easier.

When you decide what you're going to do and start building, be sure you share with all of us! Good luck and happy coop-building! [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=30118

3. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have only had chickens a few months but I am on my 2nd coop. Here is my 2 cents worth for your consideration.

You need to figure 4 sq. ft. per chicken, so 10 ft. x 12 ft. would give you room for your 30 chickens. If you are like me, and I think many chicken people are, you will need more room soon. I started out with a coop for 12 chickens. Before long I found myself with 31 growing chicks. Oops! So, if you have the room, plan bigger rather than smaller.

If you can do it, I would make a coop you can walk into. It makes cleaning and taking care of the chickens easier.

Allow for lots of ventelation. I put windows in my second coop. I got them free from friends who were changing out their windows. My first coop has open spaces covered with wire for ventelation.

Start salvage operations -- wood, glass, wooden boxes (make good nest boxes), just about anything. Talk to friends. You might be surprised at what they have that they don't want. I even got a free door one time. What you can't use on this coop you can save for your next one. [​IMG]

Accept construction help from anyone who volunteers. It is a big job.

Most important of all, have fun! [​IMG]

4. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Quote:Good thought on putting in a floor. I had a dirt floor in my first coop and my dog dug a hole under it and let my chickens out. Fortunately, he didn't have a taste for chicken -- that day. I put put a wood floor in mine right away.

5. domino7

domino7 Songster

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Yes, Talk to people. Tell them you need wood. By the time I was done I built a 8x24 building for less than $300.

6. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    wow you guys that is a lot of useful info!!! thank you so much!!!

7. domino7

domino7 Songster

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    [​IMG] My $300 coop.

8. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    that is like a chicken dream house do u have any plans??? can i see them??? or pix from diff angles and inside?? THAT IS SOOO COOL!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. domino7

domino7 Songster

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Thanks, the chickens are happy with it, but really it's nothing special at all. I didn't have a plan. Have you looked through the coop section? There are some great coops in there.
    I just started building. It has a floor made from 2x6s and covered with OSB. I don't know that I reccomend the OSB, but it is cheap and I was trying to keep costs down. I did try to keep everything level and plumb.
    I even got the paint at a surplus store for $5 per gallon. It started out as just a simple 8x16 rectangle, but I had materials left over so I added the 3 sided storage unit 8x8. I got the dog kennels on CL for $80. They were 2 8x6 kennels.
    I really have NO building experience, but once I got started it all just worked out, so go for it. I had that window in the garage for years. Unfortunately it doesn't open, but lets in great light. I also got the roll roofing for free. That's why it's 2 differant colors. You can only see that from my second story window, which is where I took the pic lol. I started telling people that I needed wood and couldn't believe the response I got.
    I even got free screws and nails lol.
    Friends love to be helpful. Let them

10. RockyPhoenix

RockyPhoenix Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    North Liberty
    thts awesome!!! i have a large coop rite now (800sq feet it is 80 years old.........no joke) it was already there when my dad bought the farm and its perfect but i dont have any pix.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: