I need to buy a potato...seriously

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Wifezilla, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Not just ANY potato, but I want a Korean Purple Sweet Potato so I can make slips and then grow them in my garden this spring. If anyone has one of these, please let me know. I will also consider other early maturing varieties that will grow in Zone 4 like Envy, White Frazier, etc...

I know many of these are available through places like Sand Hill preservation, but you can't select which variety you get an have to take what they give you. I have very limited space and don't want to take chances on getting something I don't like. hence my potato request.

(See? Now this post wasn't as weird as you thought it was going to be now was it?)

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG] Still kinda weird WZ! [​IMG] I hope you find the right tater for you!! I thought this was gonna be about tater guns [​IMG]

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Have you tried bribing Sand Hill?

I've found there's always a price someone is willing to take to sort through a sack of potatoes for you. [​IMG]

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Sand Hill DOES sell them individually, not just as parts of assortments, but I also found this site: http://abundantacres.net/sweetpot.htm

There's
    also a person with the username "Garden Guy" on the Mother Earth News forum who says he has them. It seems that very, very few do.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I saw that post on MEN, but there was absolutely no contact information.

Maybe I will call Sand Hill and see if they will part with a potato or two. I know I don't want to wait for them to ship slips even if I can bribe someone to give me the type of potato I want. They wont send them to my region until late May. I plant in March under clear plastic with a wall-o-water type set up.

I started on this potato search months ago. I had no idea it would be so hard to get what I wanted!

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    To save everyone else from going on a quest to find out what the Korean Purple Sweet Potato looks like, click here (if it is correctly identified, that is)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joygant/2902525066/

And, here is the Hawaiian Purple sweet potato... http://www.hawaiipride.com/sweetpotato.html
    Dunno
    how closely they are related, but there are some good pictures there. Also has a list of sources for this sweet potato. Might be worth calling to ask.
    I'm not sure I'm ready for that on my table yet...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by