I need to fatten up a hen!

OliverZoe

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
I have a 1 year old Barred Rock hen that was sick for a couple of weeks but now has recovered
celebrate.gif
Anyway she wasn't eating great and has lost weight and is noticeably smaller then the other hens.

So my question is what are some good foods or supplements to give her to fatten her up???

She won't eat eggs so that is out
sad.png

Thanks!!!

I have a 1 year old Barred Rock hen that was sick for a couple of weeks but now has recovered
celebrate.gif
Anyway she wasn't eating great and has lost weight and is noticeably smaller then the other hens.

So my question is what are some good foods or supplements to give her to fatten her up???

She won't eat eggs so that is out
sad.png

Thanks!!!
Really, no eggs? Have you tried hard-boiling them and seeing if she'll eat those (mine love hard-boiled eggs; they just rip them apart)?

Well, if she won't eat eggs, here are some other choices: Wet cat food, moistened layer feed (chickens love this, and if she does, too, she'll eat a lot of it), applesauce, some plain yogurt, and dried or fresh mealworms (great protein!). I'd also give her some poultry vitamins/electrolytes (some made for chicks are fine to use), as well as some probiotics.

I'm glad that she recovered.
smile.png
Do you know what was wrong with her?

Last edited:
Really, no eggs? Have you tried hard-boiling them and seeing if she'll eat those (mine love hard-boiled eggs; they just rip them apart)?

Well, if she won't eat eggs, here are some other choices: Wet cat food, moistened layer feed (chickens love this, and if she does, too, she'll eat a lot of it), applesauce, some plain yogurt, and dried or fresh mealworms (great protein!). I'd also give her some poultry vitamins/electrolytes (some made for chicks are fine to use), as well as some probiotics.

I'm glad that she recovered.
smile.png
Do you know what was wrong with her?
I don't know what was wrong with her
idunno.gif
other then she pooped some lash
sickbyc.gif
but now she is doing great other then being underweight.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I forgot to mention I did just pick up some mealworms which thankfully she is eating. I have tried boiled eggs too and it was a no go!!! also she does not like yogurt (worlds pickiest hen
roll.png
) but I will try your other suggestions and see if she likes them. Thank you
highfive.gif

I don't know what was wrong with her
idunno.gif
other then she pooped some lash
sickbyc.gif
but now she is doing great other then being underweight.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I forgot to mention I did just pick up some mealworms which thankfully she is eating. I have tried boiled eggs too and it was a no go!!! also she does not like yogurt (worlds pickiest hen
roll.png
) but I will try your other suggestions and see if she likes them. Thank you
highfive.gif
Well, whatever was wrong with her, hopefully it doesn't affect her again! Its good that she is eating something. Maybe she's related to my chickens, lol (they are even more picky--other than layer feed, they will only eat a few fruits, only the most tender plants, etc.).
smile.png

Well, whatever was wrong with her, hopefully it doesn't affect her again! Its good that she is eating something. Maybe she's related to my chickens, lol (they are even more picky--other than layer feed, they will only eat a few fruits, only the most tender plants, etc.).
smile.png
Your right your hens do seem a lot more picky then mine! and I didn't think that was possible
gig.gif

and I really hope she doesn't get sick again too! I was sure she wasn't going to make it the first time so I doubt she could take another round of it. I just have to cross my fingers and pray she stays healthy
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom