1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need to know every thing about a broody!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Girl, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok so my white/frizzle cochin is going broody for the second time. The first time did not go so well. She stoped like 3 days befor hatch. [​IMG] and i tryed to save them but it did not work.[​IMG] [​IMG] so yeaster day she started yelling at me after i got the eggs. So i think she might be broody agen. But i need to know every thing you guys know about broody hens! I know how to candle and how long it takes(21 days). But is it bad to not let her have eggs to sit on till Mon? Thanks every one! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chicken Girl

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    No problem. She could set a couple weeks before you put the eggs that you want her to hatch.Just keep a dummy under her.

3. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:ok so like the 21st (of FEB) i can put the eggs i want to hatch under her? And will she get of the nest after 21 days?

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Can you tell us what the signs are that you're noticing that make you think she's going broody? You said she started "yelling at you". do you mean she is sitting on eggs 24 hours a day? That would be one sign.

Also, it is important not to disturb a broody hen. That will make them go off the nest and stop being broody if you are frequently reaching into her nest box, or handling her eggs or anything. Once my hens start setting I don't touch them at all, unless I wanted to candle the eggs maybe one time or two, and that I try to coordinate with when she gets off the nest once a day for 10 minutes to stretch her legs and eat.

5. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I dont know yet. I will now in a few days i gess. I just want to get the most info on a broody hen a poseble. Thanks for the help!
    PLS ceep helping me out!!!

Chicken Girl

6. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Just my thoughts after having hens go broody at least four times now. I would not wait until the 21st if you can help it. The hen stays on the nest and she does not leave it except once a day. I think that the longer you leave here there the more she can decline in health. I mean, they really do not leave.

If you can get some eggs under her asap, it would be great. I got mine in the mail from Georgia to Califonia in a week and I felt bad about that as it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by