I need to know how

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by moodlymoo, Sep 26, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    To cull a bird? Please help

2. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Culling simply means thinning the flock. What you do after you remove the bird(s) is up to you. You can either destroy them or give them to someone who may want to raise them. I bet there are people in your area that would want them.

3. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    oops, see I know nothing on this topic. It needs to be killed

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Dismember his head from his body in one swift motion.

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Moodlymoo,

I'm sorry you need to cull. It's no fun, but sometimes necessary to prevent suffering of a bird, or for the health of the flock.
    Do it where the rest of the flock cannot see, and make it as quick as possible to minimize suffering and stress.

I just culled an egglayer by the "neck-stretch" method a few weeks ago (she was an infected internal layer and a goner).
    I can describe the process (WARNING-SEMI-GRAPHIC):
    Hold the bird by it's feet (or have a friend hold the bird by it's feet), then with your free hand (thumb under wattles, fingers under the comb) pull down & back until you feel/hear the vertibrae crunch, which means the spinal cord is broken. (This took more physical strength than I thought it would.) The bird will twitch after the spinal cord is separated, and that's when it seems like the bird is still alive, but it is not.

Another method is the "broomstick" method which I have never done. Search here on BYC and you will find a description.

I've also heard of people using sharp garden shears to completely remove the head, which might be your surest bet to get it done quickly.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    From Webster's Dictionary

"Culling is the process of removing animals from a group based on specific criteria. This is done in order either to reinforce certain desirable characteristics or to remove certain undesirable characteristics from the group. For livestock and wildlife, the process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics."

7. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    If your not going to eat it, then shoot it.

8. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    If it's a chick or very small cockerel or pullet, you could just drown it. If you're going to kill an adult bird for meat, a hatchet works well. Just have a barrel or other container nearby to fling the body in so it doesn't flap around and get dirt into the neck opening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by