1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i need to know if I have a BR rooster here

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naakte, Jul 1, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I purchased 10 barred rock pullets when they were a day old. their combs are salmon colored and wattles are short. except for one whose wattles are much bigger and MUCH more red in color. this one does not have a comb like the others at all/ it is sorta really wide and without the distinct points like on the others combs. Could it possibly be this is a BR rooster and not a hen?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    How old are they? If they are close to laying, this could be a pullet. [​IMG] BR roosters are lighter in color than the pullets so you might want to post a full body shot as well.

3. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Looks like it

4. jtaylormade

jtaylormade Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Sonoma County
    How old are they in this picture? One thing I am sure about is that is a Dominique in picture 2, that is why the comb is different, its a rose comb.

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    yes, that is a dominique, and a roo, too. it was either the free "exotic breed chick" hatcheries sometimes throw in that's usually a roo or random mix breed, or someone mixed up the chicks at the feedstore. he's pretty anyway [​IMG]

6. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    It's a roos, but he is pretty. The BR hen is too, i love chickens with their feathers like that. I had a BR roos but he started to bite and he went to live on a biger farm with lots of hens.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Yep it's a Dom. I prefer them over the BRs. Keep thinking I may get some more of them since they were in my last flock I had to give up.

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    The dominique looks too dark (featherwise) to be a male. How old are they? I agree with N&MSchroeder - if they are getting close to laying age, it might be a hen. You can check the legs too - males typically have solid yellow legs, while the females have a dark wash down the front of their yellow legs. A full body shot would definitely help.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    very dark for a rooster.. must be pullet ready to lay?

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Being somewhat familiar with Dominiques I believe it's a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by