I need to know? Tetra tint roo or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SmokinChick, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I am making plans to give these two a new home if they are boys. My daughter needs the answer positve! I don't understand the feather thing.
    Here are some pics of the kids. If the combs are the tell. Then 2 boys and 1 girl. They are all 8 weeks old, got them from TSC @ 1 week peeps. Anything you all can tell me? Or if need more , better or different pics. I'll get'em.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    There are two boys and two girls in the last picture. [​IMG] If they are red stars(which I think they are) than you can tell by their color, the boys will be white with red and tan here and there, and the girls will be red with a white in the back and tail. But yes you have two boys and two girls. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Zaxby's2 :

There are two boys and two girls in the last picture. [​IMG] If they are red stars(which I think they are) than you can tell by their color, the boys will be white with red and tan here and there, and the girls will be red with a white in the back and tail. But yes you have two boys and two girls. [​IMG]

If they are red stars(which I think they are)

The White ones aren't "Red Stars" or any other Sex-link. There Tetra Tints [​IMG]

Chris​

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    SmokinChick,
    In the second to last picture the 2 red ones are hens and the white one on the left is a hen and the one on the right is a rooster.

Chris

5. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I'm afraid the reds got in the pics.
    I am only concerned about the white(Tetra) ones. As they are all the same age, according to TSC. I do feel that the size of the wattles and combs are giveaways.
    Can someone try to explain the feather shape thing as a sexing clue. I looked and couldn't tell any difference between the three.
    Thanks for the replies.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x 2

7. Grammy Bird

Grammy Bird New Egg

Oct 20, 2010
    The shape at the end of the saddle feathers (and other parts as well) will be shaped differently based on gender. Roos will have very pointed ends and the girlies have very rounded feather tips. A good way to "train" yourself to use this method of sexing chicks is to spend a little time examining saddle feathers of grown birds. The difference will be very obvious. Then take a piece of paper or fabric that is a contrasting color to the chick's feathers. Lay the tips of the saddle feathers over the contrasting colored paper or material and look to see how the shape of the feather tips compares to the adults you've been looking at. Pointed it crows - rounded it lays. Only chickens I have not been able to do this with are silkies. I suppose it goues without saying that you can't do this with tiny chicks - they have to have feathered.

From the appearance of these pictures, I don't think you need to check the feathers, though. Those big red combs and the overall head shape of the Tetras SCREAMS rooster. Awe, go ahead, check the feathers. Betcha find points!

8. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:
    If they are red stars(which I think they are)

The White ones aren't "Red Stars" or any other Sex-link. There Tetra Tints [​IMG]

Chris​

Oh, my bad! This has been a moment of duh. [​IMG] And about the tetra tints I think that they both might be boys, the smaller comb still looks suspicous to me, but I could be wrong.

9. LilyWhite

LilyWhite Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    I have 5 tetra tints... There isnt much info about them so of course you have to learn for yourself... When they got about 15 weeks they had big combs and waddles and I thought they were all roosters..[​IMG] I had read somewhere that when the waddles and combs turn red that they start to lay so I decided to give them a bit. Then when they reached 17 weeks, I got my first egg!!!! So I waited and then I got 2! Soon I got 5 eggs a day... I even got the luxury to watch them lay which was awesome! They have the biggest combs that they lay over on their head! They also have very long waddles too. I think they get these characteristics from the Leghorn. Plus, they dont crow either. So for tetra tints, it is really hard to tell until they get old enough to lay or crow because I thought all of mine were roosters and they were hens, YAAAY! [​IMG] I get a egg from each everyday too! Very good producers! I have gotten several double yolkers too and the eggs range from a light cream color to a dark brown, it just depends on the hen. Very sweet little chickies too :) I will post pictures hopefully soon and you all can see what I mean.

1 person likes this.
  10. raisinthechix

raisinthechix New Egg

May 17, 2013
    You definitely have 2 roosters. The same thing happened to me. TSC does not guarantee all one sex. We were hoping to get all hens but we didn't. Our chicks are now ten weeks old. We also bought 6 red poults the day after we bought the Tetras. They get along well with each other with an occasional "I'm the queen of the roost" squabble. The Tetras are very friendly though. We let our chickens free range. Before they started our dog had gotten over a dozen ticks on her but since they started free ranging there has not been a tick on our dog- yeah! One issue I have had with the chickens is that I had started a garden and the first day I let them out they were in my garden and ate up three of my cuke plants- frustrating. Well I hope that helps and that you enjoyed "the rest of the story".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by