I need to know what breed I have!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wilmothfarms, Jul 23, 2010.

1. wilmothfarms

wilmothfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    When I bought my birds from TSC I was told they were Americaunas, well we all know they arent that after I did my research! Then people told me they were Easter Eggers, not quite sure on that either, is that just a general term for a chicken that lays colored eggs? I did several hours of research online and looked at different hatchery pictures, gone over body structure, temperament characteristics, and what I'm leaning toward is Jungle Fowl. Here are pictures of one of my hens and my rooster. What I read on the Jungle Fowl rooster is that in order to get the long tail feathers they have to be raised under certain lighting and temps, which of course mine wasnt, I read that unless they are their tail plumage will be that of a "normal" rooster. I want to sell a couple of my hens, but I dont know what to price them at. ALSO I am selling 3 of my mallard hens and a drake Pekin duck, anyone able to help me with how much to price them at??? This is my first time with ducks and selling them. ANY help will be sooo appreciated! ESPECIALLY with these chickens!!!! I'm really really wanting to know exactly what I have! People keep telling me one thing and I just dont know! Now tell me where and how do I post a picture? LOL First time posting a thread! [​IMG]

2. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did that work on posting my pictures?

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Leghorns is my vote.

Red Leghorns? Brown? I dunno.

A Red Junglefowl would not have yellow legs, nor would you find one at TSC.

[​IMG]

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Those are brown leghorns...we raise them.They lay xl and jumbo white eggs Top 2 roos bottom 3 hens

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Brown leghorns

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Wow, they sure are pretty! I've never seen a brown leghorn before! [​IMG]

7. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Really???? [​IMG] They are so slender compared to my other birds! And small!!!! I'm shocked!!!!!!!! I looked at Hatcheries and you CAN get Jungle Fowl and thats why I thought TSC got a "oooops" shipment. They look EXACTLY like them. They really are SO much smaller than my other birds. I thought leghorns were a large bird??? Well then I need to know what are the temperament of the roosters? Are they docile overall? I really want to keep mine, but not if they are known to become aggressive like the RIR roo's are. So far he is aloof. (Hens are too, they are fast, and more like a wild bird than a chicken) These birds have totally diff. temperaments than my other birds. Here are the pictures enlarged.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    Okay..ya know, if I had dug around further on here I'd have answered my own question! I'm such a dork! THANK YOU...can you tell me HBuehler more about them, their temperment and what to expect from them? I know all about my other birds except them! Disappointed they arent colored egg layers )-:
    Rachel

9. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone's experience is different, but I hated my brown leghorn roo and hen. I gave the roo away because he would attack us. I was keeping him in a small coop and he wasn't happy, so I found him a new home. The hen was just unsociable, she met her end with a racoon.

How old are yours? They could still be small because they aren't full-grown yet.

10. wilmothfarms

May 3, 2010
    Cecilia Kentucky
    They are 15 or 16 weeks old now. They are very nervous and flighty for sure. Beautiful birds. The rooster minds me very well, he has begun to "come into his own" and trying to mate the ladies (not sure what its called in chicken terms LOL) and I had to stop him from doing that while I'm in there, didnt take but a few times knocking him off before he learned he cant do that in front of me. He has begun to chase them off of food tho...something a good rooster is NOT supposed to do, so I've had to chase him off. He just started this in the last couple of days! He is always got his eye on me because I carry a stick when he gets bossy with the girls, I'm ready to boss HIM around, I'll keep the upper hand as I've always done with my two roosters. NO I DONT HURT MY BIRDS, I just push them around and away from things when they tried to fight with each other or another bird in my presence. It stopped it right away, something I learned here. (what a life saver this sight is!) Anyway, I've got more of the LEGHORNS than I want, especially now that I know they DONT lay colored eggs (stupid TSC!). So how much should I sell them for I wonder???? I'm keeping a pair of them. I wonder should I keep my rooster for now or just go on and sell him now and not chance waiting to see if he gets aggressive? Having a couple good white egg layers is okay with me, they are such pretty birds! Good foragers and hardy from what I just read!
    Rachel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by