I need to know what weeds are toxic to ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by harleyjo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I just lost a 7 week old Muscovy and I suspect it got into something while we let them and the chickens out in the yard. It went from running around eating and happy to dead in an hour.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I don't think it is toxic weeds. Ducks have very delicate taste buds, and just don't eat toxic plants. I've never heard of a duck dying from eating some plants outside. If that would be the case every duck book would have a list of toxic plants in it. Haven't found a single book with that yet, not even a reference on a duck breeders website. I have plenty toxic weeds in my yard and they simply will not touch them. I've seen some sites listed here before, but I quickly realized that they listed what the plants did to humans and applied it to ducks. Absolutely wrong, because they have a complete different way of absorbing nutrients and a different metabolism.
    You've said your duck was panting. Check its throat, perhaps something got stuck in it. Coins and and nails are very toxic to ducks. Is that possible? Man it will be hard to figure it out.

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Yes it is possible and we are going to have to go through our yard.

4. tia

tia Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    What about mushrooms??? It is pretty wet here this summer and I try to keep the mushrooms out of their pen when they are outdoors.

5. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I haven't seen any mushrooms but that doesn't mean that one wasn't hiding out in the grass where they had been out foraging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by