I need to know why you can't feed this food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am feeding something called Black Rooster as a scratch (only). It says on the tag "For Mature Birds, not in production".

I need to know why you can't feed it to birds that are producing. Is it somehow dangerous to be passed onto the eggs? My hens are laying. TIA [​IMG]

Here is the ingredients and breakdown of nutrients:

0490 BLACK ROOSTER
    GAME CHICKEN FEED
    For mature birds not in production.
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein, min......................................................................13.00%
    Crude Fat, min..............................................................................3.00%
    Crude Fiber, max..........................................................................8.00%
    Calcium (Ca), min........................................................................0.25%
    Calcium (Ca), max........................................................................0.75%
    Phosphorus (P), min.....................................................................0.25%
    Salt, NaCl, min.............................................................................0.10%
    Salt, NaCl, max.............................................................................0.60%
    Vitamin A, min....................................................................2000 IU/Lb.
    INGREDIENTS:
    Corn, Grain Sorghum, Oats, Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Dehydrated Alfalfa
    Meal, Dried Whey, Dried Skimmed Milk, Casein, Yeast Culture, Fish
    Meal, Cane Molasses, Animal Fat, Calcium Carbonate, Defluorinated
    Phosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of
    Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin,
    Vitamin B12, Riboflavin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Manganese
    Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate,
    Copper Oxide, Magnesium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, DAlphatocoporal
    Acetate, Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Rice Mill By-
    Product, Vitamin A Palmitate, Popcorn, Salt and Black Oil Sunflower.
    Natural and artificial flavors added.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im guessing because it has such a low calcium content? not good enough for strong eggs?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Maybe the protein isn't high enough? [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I wondered about both the calcium content and the protein %, but I'm only using it as a scratch. The hens all have layer feed in their coops and oyster shell in a seperate feeder. [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I would think if its just for treats it would be great! as a full time food-not so much

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Is there an 800 number on the tag that you could call on Monday to ask?

Ok, googled and got this: http://bigvfeeds.com/images/E0184101/3GameBirdFeeds.pdf

They
    have a lot of feed - and I am thinking they have this "feed" for non production birds like Roosters - course I could be wrong............found no number, but your question here was #2 in google [​IMG]

Big V feeds - no 800 number but they do have a number under contacts: http://bigvfeeds.com/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I got much the same thing on a BING search.

Gonna keep feeding it as a scratch until someone tells me different.

8. caveman

caveman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hawaii
    I think that it is intended for your older birds that have stopped laying and no longer need the calcium or protein. I would compare it to the food that is sold for old dogs or cats, where the nutrition requirements change due to changes in various hormones and body chemistry.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

agree w/ sonew: for treats/scratch, it should be perfectly ok, but not as their main nutrition source. As long as they have unlimited access to a feed w/ higher protein & calcium and the Black Rooster is treat/scratch supplemental, it should be just fine. :)

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Numpty. I thought you were talking about it as broody food, lol. As chicken "crack"? Yep, go for it! My ding-dong brain didn't fully process the info. [​IMG] So, what else is new?

BTW, my chickens are enjoying a watermelon today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by