I need to make a well protected mobile coop/run!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by feelyweely, Dec 27, 2016.

1. feelyweely

feelyweely Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    Where I live, you must have a moveable coop. This will be my first time owning chickens so I have zero experience when it comes to building a coop. I need a design to make a well protected (we have a lot of hawks, raccoons, and snakes where I live) coop and run that is also moveable. I am not sure if that is a tall order or not but it seems difficult to me[​IMG]. Does anyone have any ideas what to add to a mobile coop to make it more secure or how to build a coop like that? I have heard about burying hardware wire underground, but then you can't move said coop?!?!?! Any ideas, pictures, links, or designs are greatly appreciated! Also, I will only be getting 6 hens since that is all the county allows. Thanks![​IMG]

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I built a movable / portable coop. You simply put it on skids and drag it around.

To protect it with an apron, I nailed the apron on the sides of the skids.

Go to my signature line, and look at the pics. The apron is discussed around post #5.

3. feelyweely

Dec 8, 2016
    @Howard E what do you mean by aprons? and can you send me a link to post #5? thanks! :)

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Rather than trying to bury wire, I lay it flat on the ground. At the junction between the vertical wall and the flat apron, I bend the apron wire up into an L shape. About 4" to 6", which I nailed to the sides of my skids.

Theory is digging animals will start digging at the base of the vertical wall, where they encounter the apron, which is laid out flat about 2 feet or so out. They are standing on the apron when they start digging. Since they can't get through the wire, they tend to probe up and down the line, but never to figure out they need to move back a couple feet and start their digging operation way out there. But it is not buried, so when you want to move it you just lift it up off the ground.

Pictures are shown in the link to my coop below.

5. seanengler

seanengler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    In my county, any building/shed on skids (4x4 or 4x6 beams) is considered portable or moveable and therefore not a permanent structure. Something with a solid floor in it like a shed/coop on skids would be far more secure than a tractor that's moveable with an open bottom like a lot you see in the coop gallery on BYC. As far as the run goes, a chain link dog run would be a good portable option IMO.

6. feelyweely

Dec 8, 2016
    @Howard E that is a great idea!!! I never would have thought of that![​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I made a hoop coop that is movable by hand, also has aprons....got the hinged apron idea from Howard but did it a little differently.
    Need to update with the new larger wheels with pneumatic tires:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor

Does your coop have to be movable daily/weekly.... or just be 'not a permanent structure' per zoning regulations?

8. seanengler

seanengler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Great post aart, I like the apron idea. Getting ready for some meat birds this spring and I'll be putting that to use!

9. feelyweely

Dec 8, 2016
    @aart the coop has to be moveable so we don't have to deal with permits for building a permanent structure and also for the chickens safety so you can move it into the garage if there is a hurricane or something, or because of neighbors who aren't chicken advocates...

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    So you need true mobility, hand movable.

Movable coops can be great, but will limit the number of birds you can keep.
    Size for population vs. size and weight that is actually movable.......it's delicate balance.

ETA.....and you'll have to watch the height of coop, so you can get it into garage with wheels down/coop raised,
    I had some problems there...lol.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by