I need to move my coop - help!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zoespaartin, Sep 13, 2010.

1. zoespaartin

zoespaartin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    I am moving to a new house in a couple weeks and need to move my coop. My coop is 8'x8'x8'. It is built really well, and therefor pretty heavy. I need to move it to a house 4 miles down the road. Any suggestions on how to move it? I figure there is a way to get it on to a flatbed truck, but my husband thinks it's impossible. Please help me prove to him that it's not!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Of course it can be done! You need a flatbed trailer with a hydraulic wench.....this shed is a 12x16 and the wench just pulls it right up the trailer.

You could also use a "roll off" trailer. You can usually contract a wrecker service to use a "roll off" trailer (they'll do it). But here's some pics of the guys loading our shed with the hydraulic wench.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. zoespaartin

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks! I will show these photos to my husband! Do I need to put the coop on rollers or anything? I want to post a pic of the coop so you can see how it is set up (it's on stilts), but I can't figure out how to post images on here.

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    You will be cutting it close using a rollback (wrecker) at 8' wide. I would look into a shed mover. Call your local shed company, most delivery drivers are subcontractors and will move your coop for you with no problems...remember to shop around, business is slow so fees vary greatly.

5. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

Zoe -- Under the Index section, look at the top and find Frequently asked questions, and there are directions for how to post photos. You've gotta learn so you can post photos of your adventure and your chickens to share! [​IMG] Good luck with the move!!!

This is the link to it:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

6. zoespaartin

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks for the tip! Let's see if this works.[​IMG]
    This is the coop in one of its last stages. I am waiting to paint it and put the windows in and the shingles on until we move. The chickens have been in a makeshift coop this whole time...

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I bought a discontinued model display shed from Lowes and hired local shed mover Bill to pick it up at the store and deliver it to my site. The shed is 8x10. It arrived on a flatbed truck.

[​IMG]

The back part of the truck was tilted. Peeler cores were placed under the shed to allow it to roll.

[​IMG]

Bill let the winch out a little at a time as the shed slipped down the trailer.

[​IMG]

It finally reached the bottom and peeler cores were placed on the ground and it slid off the trailer perfectly on my site.

[​IMG]

He put some blocks under to level it, collected his money and he was gone in a flash. It was now ready to be reinvented as a coop!

[​IMG]

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh, yeah, you have to take that with you. NEAT!

9. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Good luck with your move hope it all works out. I would come help you push but you live too far away from me. [​IMG] o and

[​IMG]

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I can see why you don't want to part with it! It's a beautiful coop. Good luck getting it moved to your new location.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by