1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need to persuade my parents!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hannahk, Feb 26, 2015.

1. hannahk

hannahk New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    I would really like to get a few chicks! My parents don't want to though and I would like to persuade them. How can I let them know it is a good idea? I am twelve years old and would like being able to care for them independently. I already have two goldfish and a hamster (who is not able to be handled), but I would really like to raise chickens. We have a medium sized garden and a large garage and we are in an area near fields and commons and farmy sort of places, but the family is out of the house from About 8:30 to 4:45. I don't know if this is a problem and I also don't know how much it costs to raise chickens so I it may not be right for me. I hope you have some answers!
    Hannah xx

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join our community! First off is it aloud where you are to keep chickens? Do you have neighbors that would mind? Do you go on vacation? If so would you have someone to take care of them? Do you have enough time to take care of them properly? Here is some articles from the learning center that will help you:

What Does It Costs To Raise Chickens?

New Chicken Keeper's Questions & Answers
    Why Raise Chickens?

Choosing A Chicken Breed

The Pros & Cons of Raising Chickens
    Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! I hope you find answers to all you questions here! Definitely check out the links that familyfarm1 posted!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

The links that FamilyFarm1 gave you should help.[​IMG] Perhaps try talking to your parents about the benefits of chickens. For example:
    • You'd get to learn more responsiblity, a very important life skill
    • Your family gets fresh eggs (fewer trips to the supermarket)
    • You'd know where your food comes from (how it was raised, whether there were any antibiotics in it, etc)
    • Chickens can be less expensive than other pets, like dogs for example

Good luck, and I hope you can convince your parents to keep chickens! They really are wonderful animals to keep.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I know what it is like. When I was 11 finally convinced my parents to let me have a dog. I had saved up enough money from birthday and Xmas present $$. The lady said shipping fee would be $ 2-4, it turned out to be $ 8. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but in 1958 I had a 35 cent a week allowance. so that was a big jolt to my piggy bank. I wrote and asked her if the pup had shots. She said it would be a good idea to get him some. The vet by us wanted $ 12. I sold my bike for $ 20 so was able to pay vet and money borrowed for shipping expense. I really loved my bike, it gave me "wings," but I loved the dog more.

I did manage to keep him in dog food - I took younger kids to school which didn't add up to much but food was much cheaper then. There was of course no way on earth I could have paid for vet bills other than rabies shot etc. $ 5. What I am getting at - is of course my parents had to help out. They also had to drive me to the vet etc. I said I would take care of him and I did - no goofing off, housetraining, poo removal, teaching myself how to groom and train him.

My parents knew I would keep my word but if I hadn't, I know they would have gotten rid of the dog. If you want to sit and figure out how much it is to keep chickens you also have to keep an "in case of" fund . Because if anything can go wrong it will and you want to be prepared to pay for it. l

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

The other members have given you some good advice already. I hope you can get some chickens! They're wonderful animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by