I Need To Rant!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildCochinReba, May 6, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I was in a live stock store that's near me when I saw two young kids buying a two day old Silkie Chick by itself. The owner of the store just sold the chick without a heat lamp, without a friend! All they had was just a bag of starter. No questions ask if they have a proper equipment to take care of the little chick. She just place the chick in a PAPER bag and send them on their way. Did I mention it was cold and rainy outside? I'm sorry, I know this must be normal but it just broke my heart! I hope that baby will be okay! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I understand your need to rant... This is why feed stores have a minimum amount when buying chicks... Sounds fishy to me...

3. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    And the owner claims she loves animals! Yeah, right! All she cares about is the five dollars!

4. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    Oh, also when my mother's coworker bought a one week chick, one of the workers told her she can keep the chick outside just keep it warm they didn't even sell her a heat lamp. I have the chick now and she is NOT outside.

5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    Strange that they'd say that. I find that workers don't know what they're talking about when it comes to selling chicks. We need some good knowledgeable chicken people in stores during chick days

6. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    I agree! If you're going to work with animals they should teach you how to properly take care of the animals.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You can keep chicks outside, a lot of people do it and there is nothing wrong with it as long as it's kept warm... Chicken keeping is not a black and white science, around me wild geese and duck chicks (as well as many other birds) are hatching right now and they are all outside as will be fine because they have a warm mommy to hide under, chickens are no different...

As for the person buying the single chick, most states have laws against single chick purchases, but irregardless of that one should not readily assume it will be kept solitary just because they didn't buy another at that time... They might very well already have chickens, purchased more chicks previous, purchased chicks from another store or it could have even been a replacement, it's really anyones guess...

Without knowing all the facts it's overhasty to make assumptions...

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. WildCochinReba

Apr 30, 2016
    I know I shouldn't make assumptions but it just broke my heart when I just saw one baby chick and the chick place it in a paper bag. I wasn't upset at the two children who bought the chick, I was upset at the owner. I just got home and needed to rant to people who love poultry just as I do. (I'm not saying that you don't). When my mother's coworker bought the chick, she lived in a apartment building with no other chicks and chickens. They sold her a bird cage and feed starter.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You can check with your state veterinarian's office about rules for stores selling chicks, ad report them if selling only one at a time I not allowed. Also, ask the store manager what their policy is. Our local Tractor Supply stores sell a minimum of six chicks, and have them fenced off so only staff can handle them. The local Family Farm& Home stores have the chicks available for anyone to handle, and encourage small children to hold and KISS them! Ugh! Recently some people had Salmonella from handling chicks from ???, so yet another warning about safety. So two issues here; safe handling of the chicks, and proper care. Mary

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

There is no shortage of bad stories and improperly cared for chickens, but I error on caution before I place blame or assume...

For example, the last time I purchased chickens at a feed store, I let my daughters pick out six, and left the store with nothing but 6 chicks in a box and if memory serves me, it was very cold (winter like) that day as I remember telling the girls to make haste back to the car... There was no need for me to purchase anything else, as as I have everything at home but someone could very well have though they were going to be mistreated in their 1800 sqft heated coop with about 100 other birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by