I need to separate my coop into three parts.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hcammack, Dec 27, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I need to separate my current coop into three breeding pens. Two for pairs and trios of bantams and one for a larger flock of bantams. My coop is 6x6. Its a horizon style coop. I was thinking that I could clip the wings of the birds and make the barriers about 3 or 4 feet high out of plywood. Another option would be to hinge plywood and make a chicken wire top to the two smaller breeding pens. This wouldn't block of roosts as they are platforms and low to the ground and each pen could have ventelation and one nest box still. I am defently not a skilled builder but its never to late to start and I am still young and full of energy and also dumb enough to try. I am thinking that a low 2 or three foot plywood parier with a top that hinges on the wooden top to the nest boxes.

Well here is a picture or the current coop and run setup with the LF flock thats going to be rehomed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is part of the inside of the coop I will try and get a better picture of it tommorow.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the flock of Bantam Salmon and Blue Salmon Faverolles that will be the new residents of 1/2 of the renivated coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas do you think the chicken wire and wood and hinge doors would work? I could really use some help on this.

Thanks,
    Henry

2. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Anyone have any ideas?

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    No but I like your
    coop and run![​IMG]

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Is your coop 6x6 or 4x6?? Need to borrow a tape mesure?

About your only options would be to divide into 3rds, 2 nest boxes per pen make one nest box into a feed and water and leave the other as a nest box. opposite side you could cut a pop door leading into attached runs. you could make them sliders so you could open/close from the edge of building. You would need some sort of access between the sections so a sliding door may work there.

6. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Does this mean you got rid of all the real birds?? Are you planning to keep the pairs/trios seperate starting now, or only when planning to collect eggs for hatching? 1 on 1 the roo will wear out your hen.

7. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    After relooking you could leave the right side as is for runs, and only have to cut 2 pop doors in back of shed.

Have you considered just putting some in the shed at the far right of 2nd picture, I sure dad wont mind keeping his car in the drive, and moving everything from the shed into his half of the garage. Problem solved.

Edited to add, dont tell your dad that it was my idea.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Whoops yet your right 4X6 maybe I do need a tape measure. No half garage here [​IMG] The shed is my Moms domain and she is not willing to give an inch. I think I might go with your first option separate it into to. Each roo will have at least 3-6 hens. I have got rid of all the real bird in preparation for college [​IMG] . I think I will cut two more pop doors and separate it into two runs each flock will have to stay in once in a while which is fine. I really like the salmon faverolles so I will have a bigger flock of them and I already have 7 birds. I am getting a trio of buff brahmas and a pair of araucana with two extra hens to make EE's with. I am planning on keeping them separated at all times because right now I don't have enough total hens to handle all three roos and they probably would end up batteling. Your first idea sound the best to me.

Thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Have you considered building another smaller coop, you wont need the height that you have there, You can have a hinged roof, which will make it easier to get into and out of if you only have it a foot or so off the ground, and the underneath part of the coop can be part of the run.

I always say when in doubt build another one.

10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Hmmm thats actually a good idea the only problem is my mom said she wanted all the birds in one coop for when I go to college to simplify the systems. I guess for a little while having some of the birds in the chicken tractor while I figure out how to make the coop into at least two seprate parts.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by