i need to seperate roos from hens.. help plz on ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wildorchid053, Sep 19, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    well we were given 4 sexlink and 4 RIR chicks.. we built an 8x8 insulated coop for them and now that they are grown we have discoved the RIR are all roos.. we want to keep them.. can't give them away for free.. no takers.. and we can't kill them.. they are pets..so all 4 have started to have their way with my 4 little hens.. it is way too much. they aren't hurt yet but with heavy snow and being cooped up together for several months i am afraid for them..so any suggestions? here is what i have so far
    [​IMG]

the run is large. should i cut the coop into half inside or build a small coop in the run . it will hold only roos.. no nest boxes needed. it will have to be insulated. we are sort of thinking another small coop. inside the run.. but what about the cold and heavy winds. we are on a hill top with wind all the time and it is upstate ny.. 200" of snow . if the 4 roos are together will they fight ? they are fine right now but they get outside all day

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Good idea to build the small coop in the run. Roos penned together with no hens usually get along with only minor altercations. They do get spunk if they can see hens, though.......Pop

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Is there any way to put built a seperation wall in the coop that follows and comes out into the run? I didnt have that option...I had bought pullets at 3 days old, VERY NEW TO CHICKENS AND DUMB...I was in awe...turns out out of 15 I ended up with 7 roos!!!!

The RIR were AGRESSIVE with my girls, and I mean bad, one wasnt even off her and two more were on her back already, but with all my hens...so I also didnt want to kill them, even though DH said we had too, I placed ads on CL's 3 times and no takers, byc 2x's and nothing...DH said next week...slaughter time...so I ran an ad one more time in CL ...trade 6 beauiful huge, strong and handsome roos for 2 bags of laying feed...I finally got 3 calls and one woman took them ALL TOGETHER!!!! WE keep in contact and she loves them and has them together with no hen, they get along. and close to me, sends me pictures etc...But I was afraid DH was gonna put them down.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    Similair situation here. I have two pens side by side one for boys and the other for girls. What ever boy I want to breed is going to hang out with the ladies for a bit then be returned to the boys dorm. As long as they are raised together the roos should be fine..maybe a squable here and there.

BTW nice coop! Want to come down and build me one [​IMG] . I want to hatch some banties out and will need another coop. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup you've got to separate them. Build another coop or pen.

6. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Mine were raised together from day one out of the bator into the brooder, to me buying them and putting them in a brooder to then a coop/run...did no good they started to fight over the hens....

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Like I said, if they can see the hens, there`s gonna be trouble.....Pop

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If there are any small animal swaps in your area (call around to feed stores, etc and ask) take them. Roos go like hot cakes for a few dollars each here. [​IMG]

And if it helps, just don't think about why that is... at least until after the roos are gone and the cash is in your pocket. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Are you serious?!!! I couldnt get rid of mine at all...then after wards I found out that my feed store would have taken them for like 4.00, full grown roos, and sell for 7.00....I just didnt want them put down...I did want to keep them, but I was very new and I didnt know I could find or see a solution to this problem...I was heartbroken.

the good thing is the girl keeps in contact with me off CL and sends me pictures and talks to me about them. But I thought, DUMMY me...that if they grew up together even with hens, they would be ok....they were 5mos old when I got rid of them.

10. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Am I serious that I think she should take them to the sale and not worry about what the buyers intend to use them for? Or am I serious that they sell like hotcakes for a few bucks each?

I suppose it doesn't matter as on both counts, yes.

As far as getting rid of them... winter is fast approaching and when it hits those roosters are nothing but feed burners when kept separate from the the hens. They serve no purpose, just eat their body weight in feed and sit around looking pretty. I know some people have no problem with this, but imo -- which is all I can give -- might as well sell them. Everything is expected to pull it's weight around here. [​IMG]

And them going like hot cakes... they do. Given the people I see buying them up, those chickens are going one of two places neither is something people who think of their chickens as pets are going to be happy with. One I'm not even happy with but... again, feedburners. If you haven't the stomach to butcher them ... it's an option.

Like I said, jmo, and I know I am different than a lot of BYCers in that I adore my chickens, but don't think twice about making them soup either. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by