I need urgent advice about sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdmorris, Oct 29, 2013.

1. sdmorris

sdmorris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2013
    Israel
    I just started with my first backyard coop with 3 RIR 3-month old chickens that I bought 1 month ago.
    2-3 days after I bought them, 1 chicken became very lethargic, hardly moving or eating, and after another 2 days I found her dead when I went to open the coop in the morning.
    The other two were fine until 2 days ago, when I found one of them with her head under her wing. She perked up when I brought a banana treat, but several times over the last two days I have seen her with her eyes closed and she does not go to the feeding tray very often. The other chick is running about as active as ever.

I have been feeding them the grain that was recommended by the chicken supplier, supplemented with salad (mainly lettuce & tomato) and the occasional helpings of cooked vegetables (carrots & cabbage) and banana.

Any idea what can be wrong and what I can do to help?

Steve

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Make sure you are giving them a high quality feed. Do they have access to grit? Look up symptoms for Coccidiosis. Check their crops to rule impacted crop issues. What does their poop look like?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Three month olds should be on 18-20% protein starter/grower crumbles until age 5 months when they can go on 16% layer. Cut out the extras. I also agree theat you may have coccidiosis in your flock. I would treat them with amprollium or Corid 2 tsp liquid or 1 tsp powder for 5-7 days. It is in the cattle meds department of your feed store. Make it the only water source. Follow up with vitamins and probiotics (or plain yogurt) after completing treatment.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X3. Treat for coccidiosis asap and put them on a good all flock or grower feed.

5. sdmorris

Oct 12, 2013
    Israel
    If I understand correctly, the main symptom of Coccidiosis is blood in their poop, so that is not the problem.

A neighbor with chickens took a look and reckons that it is a virus and gave me antibiotics and vitamins. Hopefully that will help, along with yoghurt, which they still appear to enjoy.

Thanks for the advice.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your neighbor may be wrong. Blood in the droppings only occurs in 1/3 of the cases of coccidiosis. Three month old chickens are not usually immune to coccidiosis yet. The symptoms are lethargy, puffing up, ruffled feathers, poor appetite, and diarrhea--sometimes, but not always bloody. Here is a link to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would treat for coccidiosis. I have had to treat 3 month olds for it before. You should see improvement within 24 hours of the Corid treatment starting.

8. sdmorris

Oct 12, 2013
    Israel
    I have not found a source for amprollium/Corid. Where I live you can only get medicines like these from a veterinarian, which is expensive.
    The antibiotics and vitamins have helped a lot and the chickens are both much more lively.

However, one of the chickens has now developed a lump on her beak - the white lumps are cottage cheese, which she loves.
    Any ideas what the cause is?

This is all a learning experience for me and the first major lesson was - only buy birds from a reputable dealer or someone you trust.

[​IMG]

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I purchase Amprol from a vet. Vet sells me 500 ml(this is the amount i ask for) and it costs around $10.00 in Canada. You do not have to purchase the entire jug,tell vet you only need small amount.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  10. sdmorris

Oct 12, 2013
    Israel
    I tried that for the antibiotics with the vet I use for my cats. He would only give them to me after examining the "patients", which is fair enough but that cost me around $30.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by