I need urgent help!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ilovemyduckies, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I was taking picture of my chicks because they are 3 weeks old today. I went to go get one of my duckling when the other one walked right off of the "stage" thing. So I was paying attention to her. Well, when I closed the brooder, I closed it right on top of one of my chicks. Now she is acting all lethargic. I don't know what to do, I'm only 13 and I'm already crying. Please!

2. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I hope someone has some ideas for you.

If it was me I'd keep a very close eye on her, I'd likely be carrying her around with feed and water with us at all times.

I had something similar happen to a puppy a couple of years ago. My dad tripped and fell on her. She was pushed into a post of the whelping box. Her head swelled. After some close care and steroids to keep down the swelling she seemed to improve in about 2 weeks. Unfortunately after another 4 weeks or so she began seizuring and had to be euthanized.

My point is not to scare you or make you more upset. It is....these things happen. We have been breeding dogs for over 25yrs and have learned that 'things happen'

Hope she is OK!

3. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, it's only been about half an hour and she is already doing better. Although, I don't know is that means anything. A couple of years ago, I got my first chicks, and my cousin and little brother got them. Left two dead, two completely uninjured, and left one barely hanging on. She was acting the same way as this one and seemed to be improving. My other cousin heard her freaking out, she was running around the brooder peeping. So she put her back on the little blanket below the light. She did not make it and died less than half an hour after that.

4. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    I just mashed a boiled egg for her. She tried a little bit, but not enough to help her. She won't eat or drink any thing.

5. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    She's probably mostly terrified. I accidentally dropped the waterer on one my chicks last night. They are ok but it took awhile before she decided it was safe to come out of the corner. I'd make sure that everything was all right otherwise in the brooder and step away - give the little one some space and time to recuperate. You can watch from across the room and make sure nothing else happens but let them have a little space.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, I've got her in a box in my room. I can't really watch from across the room because the brooder is outside and the other chick are out with my ducks (They are separated by a wire fence type thing, not where the ducks can get them). Should I put her out with them, put them back in the brooder and put her in there too, or just leave her where she is? Thx

7. Ilovemyduckies

Feb 21, 2012
    Okay, I put her back in the brooder with the others. I put the boiled egg in there and some sugar water. She seems to be doing fine now. Not as active as usual, but still more active than at first. I put her in there and she went straight for the food, so that's a good sign. Thx for the advice :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by