I need your advice.............. (Curious? Click to find out what!) ;)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4 Love of Baby Chickens, Jan 23, 2011.

1. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

So I want to build another Clutch Hutch on top of the existing Clutch Hutch. I'll do bricks for the base and then start building the frame. I'll do a board of at least 4 inches so to keep the dirt in. [​IMG] Then use chicken wire to fence it in. (The Clutch Hutch is inside the predator proof coop. Haven't lost a single chicken since it was built in late 2008 except for weak chicks.) This is for just in case I have 2 broodies at once (which I do at least once a year).

Current Clutch Hutch. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my idea for building the Clutch Hutch #2. And I forgot to add on the rough sketch that the bottom square is the current Clutch Hutch. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please post any ideas that ya'll might have for me. I'd like to hear them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What is the flooring?

Jenny

3. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

A wooden board with 2 or 3 inches of dirt. Completly forgot to say that. [​IMG]

4. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

Anyone? [​IMG]

5. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Hi, I hope you don't mind if a ask a bunch of questions to help me understand. Is the unpainted wooden frame in front a drop-down access door and you're able to stand inside?

You're protecting the wooden top from moisture and stuff with the bricks, I suppose. Could you put down an old piece of linoleum or something else cheap but waterproof?

It looks like you want the second coop to be pretty much the same as the first and free standing (unattached)?

I don't know how to improve it .... except how do you get into the second story door, a short ladder? (I'm presuming the first coop is about 5 feet tall and the second one would be the same.)

6. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

No the first little coop is only 3 ft tall and the 2nd coop will be not taller than 2 1/2 ft. [​IMG] So in all both coops won't be more than 5' 6" tall. Which is the perfect height for me. [​IMG] The top of the little coop is made with metal sheets. And a friend of mine owns a store where I can buy some linoleum for a good price. And I'll nail a solid wooden board to the back of the frame to the side of the barn to hold it in place. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by