1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need your help! Are these pullets or cockerel silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Country Chick at Heart, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Country Chick at Heart

Country Chick at Heart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Hello all! I need your expertise! I have several silkie chicks that are about 9 weeks old. I'm trying to figure out if a couple of them are cockerels or pullets! Since I live in a no crow zone I want to be prepared to rehome them as soon as possible. Also, if you could tell me what color they are I would appreciate it. I have uploaded a few pictures, hopefully they will help. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    They all look like girlies to me, from what I can see! Very pretty!

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The head shot of the one buff looks suspiciously rooish to me.

4. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    i cant really tell from the pictures if you could get more straight on side pics that would be helpful... Heres a pic you can compare to, these are about 2 weeks old and the whit is a pullet and the cuckoo is a cockrel.

[​IMG]

5. Country Chick at Heart

Country Chick at Heart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    California
    Thank you for responding. And for the comparison pictures. I of course am hoping they are all girlies!!! [​IMG] I'll see if I can get some straight on headshots. I have found that chickens are not easy to photograph!!! Any thoughts on the heritage of the little wee with the grey head and multi colored body? [​IMG] I think she is a mystery chick!!

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the buff is boy for shure

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the last one a porseline

8. maddybp

maddybp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    i have a silkie but it looks nothing like those it does not have such a big scruffy head and is not as fluffy but i promise u it is a silkie

9. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    Quote:It is probably more of a hatchery style silkie, they tend to be less fluffy

10. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    !st 2nd and 3rd pic all female(guessing) 4th and 5th pic look rooish, bottom one is soooooooooooo pretty and looks female as well : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by