I NEED YOUR OPINION FOR BEDDING PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rockmissjess, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Sand (Washed Construction Sand Or River Sand)

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Dirt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Straw (Not Chopped)

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pine Shavings (From Feed Stores)

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  5. Pine Bark (From Lowes Or Home Depot)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Leaves

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Organic Cat Litter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Linoleum By Itself (NO LITTER)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rockmissjess

rockmissjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    Ok, So im converting a over 10x10 shed/room/barn thing that was build on my property but wasnt finished into a very large chicken coop for my chicks i just ordered (of course going to wait till their grown enough to move them in) But my husband is going to insulate it (he is a insulation installer) it sits 1 foot above the ground on cement things (not sure what they are called) and the entire building is going to be plywooded and painted when finished. We are going to put linoleum on the floor of the coop... and we were wondering if & what bedding we should put on top of the linoleum and how high of bedding as the area is over 10x10?.... we would like EVERYONES input on this please....
    [​IMG]

(Please do keep in mind we have rattlesnakes around here and scorpions)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    if your putting linoleum down and have nasty critters around, i wouldnt use anything else

3. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    Thats what i was thinking... and only putting a little bedding in the nesting boxes and a little sand box under the roosts...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    why a sand box under the roost? if its to catch poop use a poop board, if its for them to bath , it will be full of poop.

5. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    hmmm okay like a peice of metal sheeting? under the roosts?

6. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    My son made me an aluminum pan that we put under the roost. I filled it with about 1-1/2"-2" of pdz and scoop the poops out every morning. Only takes a few minutes. The pan sits on about 10" from the bottom roost and can be removed for cleaning. I have linoleum on the floor of the coop and use pine shavings over it. Thank goodness we don't have scorpions and so far have not had any problems with snakes.

7. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    Thats what i was thinking of doing making a metal box underneath the roosts, putting construction grade sand (its rocky) in it so i could just scoop out the nasties...

8. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    After much thought about how much its going to cost me to fix up that outside barn/shed and make it into a coop... for now im going with the most practical solution givin our means for $$$ right now.. just ordered this should be here by thursday i am going to seal it and reinforce it but for now this is the most practical solution... i do have to wonder tho if i should re-enforce the bottom with hardware cloth and put sand over it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    with your grass being like that i can see snakes slipping under. why is your grass like that? is it sod?

10. rockmissjess

Jan 23, 2014
    Prescott Area, Arizona
    hahha thats not my grass.. thats the stock photo of the coop im getting.. THIS IS MY BACKYARD
    . [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ITS ARIZONA FOR YA!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by