I need your opinion on feed. Please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ginbart, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sure this has been ask before but here it is again.

I have been feeding Dumor Layer Feed, 16% Protein. Now I see TSC is selling Purina Layena Sunfresh Pellet Feed. I’ve read so many people on here say Purina is very good. But it doesn’t say what the Protein % is.

Which do you think is better?

I only have on bag of the Dumor left and I will mix it if you all think the Purina is better. I think TSC may stop selling the Dumor, this is the first time I saw Purina there. They didn't have it there before and the last time I was there I got the last 2 bags of Dumor they had.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Layena is also 16%

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-2800927

I feed Purina Flock Raiser myself which is a 20% general purpose poultry ration. You have to supplement oyster shell though.

.....Alan.

3. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    A.T. Hagan :

Layena is also 16%

http://www.tractorsupply.com/-2800927

I feed Purina Flock Raiser myself which is a 20% general purpose poultry ration. You have to supplement oyster shell though.

.....Alan.

Are you feeding Flock Raiser in a pellet? My TSC only has it in a crumble. Pellets work in my feeder better so I keep hoping to find it that way.​

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Alot of people dislike dumor and found their chickens were healthier and ate better on a different feed. Purina seems to be the most common. I don't have any of those nationwide common brands here since this is farm country. Most of the ingredients for animal feed are grown here and there are plenty of local brands for feed stores to sell.

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i was at tractor supply today comparing the dumoor and the layena.. there really was no difference in the percentage of ingredients.. so now i don't know which to use

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks everyone. I think I will change to Purina. [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Crumble is the only way I've seen it.

Can your feeder be adjusted? If you can narrow the gap between the bottom of the tube and the floor of the pan the crumble won't come out so fast.

.....Alan.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    A.T. Hagan :

Quote:Crumble is the only way I've seen it.

Can your feeder be adjusted? If you can narrow the gap between the bottom of the tube and the floor of the pan the crumble won't come out so fast.

.....Alan.

I buy flock raiser pellets. I'm paying $19.00 for 50lbs.​

9. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Purina only makes Flock Raiser in a crumble. Layena is offered in pellets or crumbles. I do find that my new Serama chicks like the Flock Raiser ground up fine, so I run it through the coffee grinder until they are a few weeks old.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Ouch. That's three dollars a bag more than I'm paying here in Florida.

.....Alan.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by