I need your opinion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken friend, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Chicken friend

Chicken friend Out Of The Brooder

Hey BYC! I'm so glad to be a part of this awesome site! Okay so I have some questions.
    I am pretty young, but I have started my own egg selling business. If I want to keep the business going, I need to get more chickens. I need your opinion on good egg layers I could get.
    I heard Anconas, Red stars, black Aussies, and Jaerhorns were good layer breeds. Is this true? If you have any other good breeds to suggest, just let me know! Have a great day, God bless!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Babsicles

Babsicles Out Of The Brooder

Light Sussex are great layers.

3. Chicken friend

Thanks do you have them? Or do you know somebody that has some?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I have 4 leghorns and they lay very, very well. It's the middle of winter and they are getting few daylight hours (most hens need around 14 hours of light per day to keep them in production) and my Leghorns are still laying. They lay nice big, white eggs.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings! I would advise to go the brown Breeds tab above and clicking the egg laying and high egg productivity boxes - it will list several good egg laying selections. I think Leghorns might be the best layer out there - cheaper to feed than some breeds due its small size, and lays lot of white eggs. Are you looking for established or point of lay hens are starting with chicks? If chicks, here is the Hatchery link...and good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

6. Babsicles

Babsicles Out Of The Brooder

Yep I have one, she's a real trooper! Welsummers are great too.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Leghorns are great white egg layers and have an excellent conversion ratio of food to eggs. For brown egg layers red or black sex links are great for egg production.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

I have jaers, and they are very good layers even without supplemental light, efficient on feed, and active foragers. They lay a really nice large cream egg.

9. Chicken friend

Yeah I have a pearl leghorn as well as a black star and they are both three years old. My black star lays occasionally, but the leghorn never lays. If she does, it's a deformed egg. But my sister's red star is a champion egg layer.

10. Chicken friend

Yes I heard Jaers were good! Where did you get them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by