I need your thoughts on this one.......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dkosh, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I found a hen yesterday in an egg-bound posture. I picked her up and checked. Not egg bound. No vent redness or discharge. Now what has me scratching my head is that her abdomen is severly distended. She extends her neck with her mouth wide open like she is gasping for air. She doesn't appear to be in respiratory distress though. She walks in this egg-bound posture waddling like a sumu wrestler. I've put her in my sick-bay and I'm just watching her. She has been wormed. She also has interest in food and water but looses interest quickly. Any thoughts????? [​IMG]

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm.. have you tried a warm bath? Sounds crazy but it can help possibly [​IMG] Really not sure whats going on. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
    QP

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Did you do the internal olive oil on finger exam? It certainly does sound like an egg stuck.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    She could have fluid in her abdomen (ascites). This would also apply pressure to the lungs, as they are throughout the abdomen in birds - they don't have separate chest and abdominal cavities.

5. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Yup did the egg check, nothing.

What would you do if it was fluid in the abdomen? Can you asperate it?

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I'm not positive, but think I read somewhere that Egg Yolk Peritonitis has the symptoms you are describing. You might do a search on this site and get some info.

Hope you find the problem.

7. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    From what I have read on here....neck up, gasping for air? I would treat for worms I think. Maybe Dawg53 could chime in here but thats what I would lean to. Have they been wormed before/yet?

8. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Sorry...I just saw that you typed that she has been wormed. Recently? Retreated again after 10 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by