1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I never expected this!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoPups, May 9, 2007.

1. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    My roommate and I were taking our four greyhounds on their morning walk today when all of a sudden we hear a rooster crow! We're in the middle of the city! We had to go investigate, and we found a teeny tiny little bantam rooster in a bush! My roommate ran the greyhounds home and came back so we could catch him. We knocked on the doors of a few houses and no one claimed him, so now we have a teeny tiny little guy in our backyard! He's very cute, and we named him Cornelius. We have no idea what breed he is, so if any of you have guesses, please speak up! [​IMG]

Here's where I need your help! He's sneezing a bit and making funny gurgly noises- nothing I've ever heard a chicken make, and I don't know whether to be concerned or not. He also has a crooked toenail, something I've never dealt with before. Do we clip it, or just leave it?

Anyway, here are some pictures of Mr. Handsome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's his funny toenail:

[​IMG]

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    awww....he is adorable!!! Looks like maybe a Serama??? He is awful tiny, But gorgeous! As far as the is concerned, give him a little apple cider Vinegar in his water, it is a good pick me up, I give it to my birds if they sneeze, and it works great. But if it dosent get better, a trip to the vet may be required. As far as the toe nail goes, i would just trim a little so It dosent bother him.

3. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Critter Crazy! I've got some cider in the house. Oh and I forgot to ask... Is there any way to get an age check? His spurs are about a quarter of an inch long.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Just add a tiny amount of the Vinegar to the water. I have no ideas about age, sorry.[​IMG]

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, spurs are like fingernails-not really a good indicator of age. If he is sneezing you may want to pick up some vitamin and electrolytes (a package of mix) from your local feedstore. The vitamins will give him a boost and fill in any nutritional gaps he may be missing.

Cute fella-someone is probably missing him right now.

[​IMG]

PS: ORGANIC apple cider is the key. The distilled is so "purified" that it may not help much.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  6. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    Wow is he little. I didn't relize chickens came that tiny. Makes me wonder how little the hens are. He looks very content in his new home. I hope he feels better soon. Good Luck with him.

7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I want to emphasis the vinegar, chickens do not do well with colds becuase of mucus build up. The vinegar cuts the mucus.

8. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    He is an OEGB bbred rooster... about 1.5 to 2 years old. I have several like that.

Arklady

9. robbobbin

robbobbin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2007
    Really Arklady, I would have guess Serama also-show how much I know.

Someone around you, GoPups, must have chickens???

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hi don't know about the breed or age but I have 2 bantam hens My DH got from the flea market, both have crooked toes and it does not seem to bother them at all. I was under the impression they got crooked toes from standing on wire in the bottom of their cage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by