* I never Had A Silkie Before And Now I Have 10. What Can I Expect? *

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyraNC, Dec 23, 2008.

1. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    My Black little fuzzballs are almost 8 weeks old. What can I expect out of them once the weather gets warm and they are out in the yard? Should I keep just one rooster? Will they dig up my garden?

Right now they are the size that if I tied them to the end of a stick they would make a great 'dusters'. chuckle [​IMG]

Are they simular to regular chickens in their habits?

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You can expect everyone on here to ask for pics! (Where are they!!!) [​IMG]

3. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    yes, they are like other chickens in their behaviors. They WILL dig up the garden, mark my words. As for the roosters, a rooster is usually happiest the more hens he has, but it is not necessary to keep only one. I have also noticed the relationship of my poofy chook (a polish) to a duster. The similarities of the two are uncanny.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You can expect them to take over your life and control of your body.

Sorry but you did ask.

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    They will go broody-often!
    They will also being really dumb when it come to predators. They aren't as bad on a garden as normal chickens because the feathered feet & bantam size do have a slight impact on scratching. Mine were great & didn't scratch up anything but I'm just special. Wait & see how the roos react to each other-I always had like 5 at a time with a medium flock(15-20) because I never had the heart to get rid of them (after the 1st 3). Sometimes they fight & sometimes they are fine. Silkies are the best chickens in the world!

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Putting them on a stick and using them as feather dusters should be seriously considered. I think it would work, but it seems like it'd be easier to just hold them by their feet instead of using the stick.
    Don't get them confused/upset or sneeze too loudly or they'll go broody on you. They like to be held and talked to; do it while you're dusting with them. Take pictures.

8. MyraNC

MyraNC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Central North Carolina
    I got Black Silkies especially because they are small and I do NOT want them to be seen so easily by predators flying overhead. Do the hens or the roosters like being held most or is it about the same? Right now they all run from me when I come to see them or feed them.

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Hens are more mellow and much smaller. The have fluffier heads
    so work better as duster like Joe said.

Silkie roos can go either way. I've had friendly roos and I've
    had roos that try and bite my feet off.

Handle them a lot and hand feed them oatmeal and other treats.

Try not to look into their eyes.

10. ChickieWhickie

ChickieWhickie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Western KY
    Only 10? Silkies are like Lays potato chips, you can never have enough. You need to add white, buff, partridge, red, blue, grey, splash. You need a rainbow of colors running around in the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by