I Never Knew Bobwhite Quail Were SOOOOOO Beautiful!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by peepsnbunnies, Apr 4, 2009.

1. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    I bought some Georgia Giant Bobwhite Quail eggs off of Ebay last fall and 3 of them hatched. I wanted to see how big these quail got compared to the Jumbo Coturnix that I have. Well, all three have turned out to be GIRLS! Can you believe that?! Oh Well. But seriously, I had no idea just how beautiful Bobwhites are. I took special care and time with these girls from the start to try and keep them from acting wild and easily frightened. I think it helped. They do not fly or panic and they talk to me constantly when I am near their cage, I just love to hear them chattering at me. They eat mealworms from my hand too. I have to say that even though I can not pick them up like I can pick up the Coturnix Quail, I have enjoyed these girls just as much. They have been calling to the wild Bobwhite boys and I have seen one in my backyard a couple of times.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Oh they are beautiful!![​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    they are gorgeous I have over 100 in my bator right now all colors but the wild color. I'm not keeping them all just a fewprob a trio and I'm excited about the colors I'll get to choose from to keep. This post gives me hope for having friends out of them [​IMG] ALSO facinating to hear they called in wild males! Maybe my future birds will call in wiild bobs around here! I havent seen a wild bobwhite in over 2 decades! (and im almost 25...soo...) LOL!

4. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks.

What kind of male/female ratio do you keep bobwhites. Would I be able to keep 1 male in with my girls or do I need to look for several?

Here is pic of the little boy who came to see my girls the other day.

[​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That is so cool! I wonder if you could devise some kind of trap to catch that one? [​IMG] Or is that illegal? [​IMG] probably [​IMG]

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Lisa honestly I hope you're not askin me [​IMG] cuz I'm not 100% sure. I see some pair them off (and i am almost positive they only pair off in the wild?) anywhooo, others group them like you would coturnix. I guess it's what ever works for you. If you only want one male try it out [​IMG]

Shelley, i'd be bad and try to catch that boy too even just for a visit with the girls [​IMG] Im sure it is illegal though lol...

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    VERY pretty picture of that wild roo btw!

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    With bobwhites you can do any of the folllowing.....
    M/F
    1 to 1 Pair
    1 to 2 Trio
    1 to 3 Quartet
    1 to 5 Colony

It really depends on how much space you have any your birds. If you do decide to do colony breeding make sure you don't overload with males....or you will have constant fighting. And yes they are beautiful but they are truly wild. Well compared to my FAV quail..aka Coturnix.
    [​IMG]

9. peepsnbunnies

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Thanks Sam! Do you have Georgia Giant Bobwhites too? I am thinking about buying some eggs and hatching some more, hopefully getting a boy.

Lisa

10. brentjohnf

brentjohnf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Louisiana
    Im no pro but hunting and raising them I would want pairs, male and females both lay on the eggs, like alot of birds, Id say keep um in pairs less stress, you'll see them out of breeding season together in the colonys, but soon as its time to breed from April-October more than likely they will pair up, dont qoute me on nothing just thinkin out loud!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by