I never knew I'd love a chicken (pics)

Your chicks are beautiful! I wasn't sure about raising chicks myself, but once I started to do it I fell in love with it. I would have told anyone up to this point that no way no how was I ever going to get near a chicken, but now they just walk all over me.
wee.gif

What a beautiful thread, it brought tears to my eyes. I myself first got into the idea for fresh eggs but lets admit it, eggs are a while away when you start with chicks and how can you not get attached to them. You care for the, worry for them and look out for them. My first chick died at only a week old and the husband was like, don't let yourself get attached. Ha, I tried that with him too but it never works. Love them all. Your daughter is so beautiful and I'm sure this is just opening her mind to all new experiances.

Quote:
That's awesome! I was told that the reason she does so well with animals is that their emotions and expressions are easier to understand. I don't particularly know if that's always the case but she loves animals. She's begging me for goats for next year already!

Quote:
She wanted chickens before but it just wasn't a possibility for us. I bought my first house 2 months ago and made sure there was plenty of room for her to have animals to muck it all up out there. She helps in every aspect of their care, even the gross parts
smile.png
It's been a great lesson for her to learn. We have a dog and cats but the fragileness of babies really helps her understand their reliance on her.

I encourage her to do things with creativity as well. She has a very active imagination so I let her try lots of things out, like photograpy. She took all the photos of me with the chicks.

Quote:
LOL I never thought a chicken could be so cuddly and sweet. I know when we have one die it will be really hard, I already got to thinking where the heck I'm going to have a chicken graveyard because I know we can't eat them!

Quote:
Yeah I saw those! I was thinking last night what fabric do I have in my scrap bin that I could use to make a couple for them now lol. I have a bunch of mismatched cotton pillowcases that would be perfect to cut up so the girls are about to hit high-fashion!

It's amazing how much chickens can change a life! My son is on the spectrum too (he's 7 years old) we got chicks for the first time last year and was terrified of what might happen. He surprised me though and worked through having to sit still to get them to come to him. This year he's declared himself "the chicken expert" ("because he knows alot about chickens") and enjoys looking at photos on here with me of all the different breeds of chickens. He has all the breeds we have memorized, as well as how to tell (coloring, feather shape, comb shape, etc...) When life gets a little too crazy in house we head outside for our 'chicken therapy' sessions
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom