I never shared my BEAR pics!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrazyCatNChickenLady, Sep 19, 2011.

1. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Had this guy breaking into coops. In 2 nights he got a duck, 1 blind rooster that lived with the ducks, mama hen and 7 3-day-old babies. Hotwired everything and it kept him away for 2 months (well I should say kept him outta the coops.) I could still see signs of him around. I think he was testing the wire. Then he ended up getting into my growing out coop and got 4 chickens.

I repaired the coop, added more hotwire and called fish and game to seal the deal on a depridation permit. It was friday and I never heard from the DFG warden. Walked outside that afternoon and heard my rooster doing the distressed call. Turned the corner and BAM. there he was. and he didn't even run. I Ran inside snapped 2 pics out the back window then grabbed the shotgun and fired a shot out front to scare him off. By the time we went to bed that evening (I barely slept too) and woke up at 11:30pm he came back and ripped into the coop again and ate the feed and killed 2 birds. By the morning he had been back a 3rd time.. I called my dad who packed his (big) gun and headed up. (I only have a shotgun and a .22).

He called me around 4:30pm to ask which driveway was mine cause he was on my road. I tend to pace a lot when Im on the phone and I ended up turning the corner of the house. 'Ahhh BEAR! He's HERE!' So my dad pulls up (about a minute later) and my dad loads the gun and walkes the long way around the house and he hears the bear run off. Within the next hour or so he came back and was just laying right behind the coop. Needless to say the bear can no longer eat my animals. The permit has been completed and Ca doesnt relocate problem bears so this was my only option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Wow makes me grateful for my raccoon

3. breezychick

breezychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Texas
    Wow, not sure what I would do if I saw a bear in my backyard! Yikes!!!

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I would have died right there. I would still be standing there staring. Glad you no longer have to worry so much.
    Was it male or female?

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    A big boy. and yeah I'd take last years dog problem anyday!

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    That's what I was thinking, had to be male. Glad it wasn't a momma bear training her cubs to steal from you.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So glad you got him before he got YOU! SCARY! [​IMG]

8. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Yikes (not exactly what I would have said at that moment!) Makes a raccoon or possum problem seem small by comparision...

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I used to live up in Angelus Oaks, near Big Bear and one year I had a problem bear, and he was SCARY! He was not afraid, and came around a lot. I know what you mean about sleeping light. A few months later he walked into a restaraunt and started bussing tables, lol, and that was the end of him.

10. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Wow - I stress about all the predators in my area: fox, coyotes, minks, raccoons, etc etc.... but no bears!!! Sorry for all the problems you had with him, that's terrible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by