I never tho't I'd say this!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by frankenchick, Aug 13, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I went into the garden to collect JBs for the babies. Not seeing any [at first] I said aloud, "Awww, don't tell me there's no JBs out here!" [​IMG]

I found plenty, later!

2. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    By JB's, do you mean junebugs? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Japanese Beetles, I think. Yep, LOL, I said the same thing myself, then said, What the heck am I saying?????
    All I have to do is grab them off the trees and yell, "GINGER" and my Buff Orp girl comes running to get her snack.

4. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    Mine wandered to the garden this afternoon. They love their JB's they also had some red peppers, tomatos, pecked at a new little watermelon, I need to inspect more...... freakin chickens...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't live in JB country, so I have no experience...
    But I do recall someone using a JB trap that they modified to dump the beeles into their chicken run instead of the collection bag. They said the chickens would hear the JB's hit the trap and they'd come running to where the JB would drop.

It was like having a chicken treat machine! I assume they used the lure and the top portion of the trap. If I had JB's I'd do the same. No reason to just kill them when they can be yummy treats for the chickens!

Sandra

6. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Cool! Anyone know how to make this JB dispenser?

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I read in a magazine.....take the Japanese Beatle traps...they are bags....cut the very bottom open..and hang them over a white dish...or a metal trash can lid. The beatles will come for the trap..go into the bag, and drop down onto the "feed tray" for the hens. It may take them a few minutes to figure it all out, that there are yummy treats coming in there, but when they do....they will watch it like a good movie.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I have one of the disposable JB traps hanging in our small coops run. I hung it in the corner where I usually give them their treats so I didn't bother putting a pan underneath it and the gang just goes wild when they fall through and hit that spot.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by