i never thought an egg could make me gasp....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BellLisamo, Mar 2, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    So today i candled all my duck eggs (I have 6 set). Starting the 23rd on...

Well, ALL of the eggs are fertile. and i couldnt believe my eyes when i saw the LITTLE HEARTBEATS!! Oh my goodness. It was the sweetest little speck i have ever seen. I never thought or dreamed that i'd be holding an egg and see a heartbeat!!! wow.

ok so that being said... when do i candle next? day 18? or when? only time i will open the bator is to flip the carton and to spray the eggs once a day.

anything else?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Duck eggs are different. they go 28 to 30 days right?

I'd candle them 4 to 5 days before and then leave them alone.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] i feel that way every time i candle an egg...i love it..and when they get bigger and do litle baby kicks! i die! [​IMG]

4. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:yeah they do. i wont be candling them again any time soon, i thought during the end you candle again? No idea. But they are living right now.

I have no turner no fan... any BIG TIPS on that? Please tell me some positive feedback on this. If i had the $$ id buy the things to go with it. I dont even have a hydrometer ( I KNOW its super important).... does walmart sell cheap ones?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Oh yes, they are so amazing!!!!! [​IMG] I could just sit and candle all day every day....but I suppose that would not be good for the babies. [​IMG] I had trouble putting one of mine back tonight (a BTWJ/EE cross) because she kept poking her little foot against the side and I just wanted to touch her little toes so BAD!!!!!

Good luck with the babies!!!!!

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont have a wal mart so i havent seen first hand but lots of people on here say they have one for about 6 or 7 bucks . good luck.

7. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    got my hydrometer! it shows temp and humidity.

are duck eggs supposed to be in the 80's for humidity?

8. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    Quote:my duck eggs were kept at same temp as chicken eggs but i did hear they were suppose to be a little higher on temp, and i saw you already had the hygrometer was it the springfield from walmart thats what i use its good to have 2 so you can see the diffrence in temps as in still air incubators air can be diffrent temps in diffrent parts o make sure when you turn aggs to rotate them around so they get evenly heated

9. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:my duck eggs were kept at same temp as chicken eggs but i did hear they were suppose to be a little higher on temp, and i saw you already had the hygrometer was it the springfield from walmart thats what i use its good to have 2 so you can see the diffrence in temps as in still air incubators air can be diffrent temps in diffrent parts o make sure when you turn aggs to rotate them around so they get evenly heated

its the acu-rite? i have two thermometers in there.

so what degrees should the ducks be at?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by