I never thought I would enjoy having chickens so much!

murphysmenagerie

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Hi, I am new to this site and have only had chickens since May 2010. I first bought 5 New Hampshire reds and 5 Rhode Island reds to help with the tick and flea 'issues'. Of these I lost 1 New Hampshire and 1 Rhode Island to I think a weasel but the rest are prolific layers and great for the tick/flea/etc population! I don't have a dedicated shelter for them but they actually stayed in the shed literally on the backs of my Alpacas (I have 6) when it got so cold last winter and survived just fine. This year I bought 28 more of different breeds of which I still have 24. I only wanted chickens (female layers as I won't butcher them) but 2 are roosters. Of the 24 I have the colors on some are amazing. 5 are buff orpington crosses? (yellow), 4 are black sex links, 3 are red sex links and the rest are Americaunas / Aracaunas. One of my Americaunas is a rooster who is quite cheeky feathered, with blue/brown/yellow coloring but has no waddles so it seems weird. The other rooster I was told by someone doing fencing for me is probably a Wyandotte who is white/black with a HUGE red crown and double waddles! The remaining chickens have gorgeous coloring. So far I have 3 blue eggs but am not sure who laid them. More info to come and pictures if allowed. Being new I don't want to violate any forum rules
smile.png
Have a great day!

frow.gif
Hello and welcome to BYC! You can post pictures once you reach 10 posts. It's to stop spammers. So sorry for your loss! I don't keep the coop open at night just because of the weasels.

Back
Top Bottom