1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I NEVER thought I would get so excited....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmwright, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Over an egg.

But seriously. Every morning when I go out and pick up an egg I smile the whole way back to the house and carry it like it's baby Jesus.

[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I do the same thing and I've been getting eggs for a couple of years now. [​IMG]

3. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    We just got our first on Thanksgiving, I was BEAMING with pride.

4. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

I am with you there! It's almost like going on a treasure hunt to see how many little egg treasures the nests will hold! Ha ha! Love it! [​IMG]

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    LOL .. I still have to give an egg count to DH .. AND who layed them! (silkie, ees, olive egger, .. it's pretty easy right now)

Of course, that is going to STOP when all our pullets start laying in the next month or two .. lol.

I can't possibly know which "rock" layed what brown egg .. [​IMG]

6. redonthehead

Nov 5, 2010
    texasgal - I'm trying to figure out right now if I have some hens that aren't laying at all... driving me nuts! I've been reading conflicting info online about how to tell if a hen is laying or not... good luck when all your hens are laying! LOL! I have around 30 hens, but only getting an average of 13 eggs per day. [​IMG] Which is plenty for me, but I'm wondering if I'm just feeding pets at this point... LOL!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Maybe they have slowed down to laying every other day because of the short days?? I only have ONE hen laying every single day .. and I know it's her because she lays a very specific looking egg.. my others are laying about every other day.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I do the same thing and I've been getting eggs for a couple of years now. smile

Me too.

LOL .. I still have to give an egg count to DH .. AND who layed them! (silkie, ees, olive egger, .. it's pretty easy right now)

DH quit listening to my egg count on who laid what, so I now have a spreadsheet that I keep track of my daily score! [​IMG] My DH tells people that I have a spreadsheet for my eggs and they look at me like [​IMG], but it's really useful to see the egg fluctuations, who lays best in winter, etc. I can't tell my pure Ameraucana eggs apart, so all 3 of them get lumped into one column. Maybe I'm just completely looney.​

9. redonthehead

Nov 5, 2010
    @ Happy Chooks - ha ha! I have a spreadsheet too! But it's more to track numbers and watch for trends (for example, earlier this month we had a rainy/cold snap and the egg production dropped practically in half! My hens are finicky... LOL!

texasgal - not sure if it's the daylight or not... I have a light on a timer that goes on at 4am and off at 830pm, so the light is fairly consistent, but I find the weather does affect them, they're moody little ladies! LOL! Gotta love 'em though. [​IMG]

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have been doing that for a year, now...AND it never gets old.. It is like Christmas everyday... Well, every day that I get an egg--that is... Some are finish molt while others are just starting... and some are just too young... LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by