1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I never thought I'd like them.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fallon, May 14, 2010.

1. Fallon

Fallon Hatching

Mar 4, 2010
    So all my life I have been scared of chickens. And then I get the hairbrain idea to have some. And of course I never do anything small. So I ordered 6 NHReds, 6 B. Orp and 38 Cornish. Way to face your fear head on.

Well now I'm in love with them. And silly me my favorite is a meat bird. Talk about loving what you eat. The chick is a wk old and comes looking for me. He/she then crawls in my hand an lays down. AWWWW! To cute.

After all the bad I heard about meat birds I'm loving them more than my adhd laying hens.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

1st.... [​IMG]

2nd... congrats on overcoming your fear.

I used to be the same way and now...pssht. I am forever chasing down a chicken, getting in the coop, grabbing tail feathers....feet...whatever is closest...lol

3. It's hard not to love them! Especially when they are little and cute. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    The meaties are soooo sweet as babies, Sadly when they get closer to butcher time they really arent so cute more like frankenchickens...

5. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    Welcome! And you're in good company here.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Songster

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Welcome.I saw some of those meat birds at TSC...they said they die after 2 months??Is this true!? How awful

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:They can. They are bred to gain weight fast so that they can be butchered at 6-8 weeks. They are little eating machines. Once they reach their optimal weight if they arent butchered, they can die from heart attacks...all that weight on little bodies.

8. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:Good luck eating this one.... [​IMG]

9. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Crowing

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    The meaties are my favorite as well. Hopefully once my mille fleur cochins and silkies hatch, they'll take that space (especially since the meaties will be butchered a week or so before they hatch). The cochin that I had before was just as friendly as my meaties. These meaties though, they come to find me if I do the "here kitty, kitty" call, lol.

10. Foleys

Foleys Songster

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: