I never thought it would happen...R.I.P Onyx

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by StarLover21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Awhile ago we had all but one of our WL killed by racoons. We got some new babies to keep the WL company...they're now 9 wks. I've love them, take them treats constantly, hold them, and am way to overprotective...but I've never thought of hawks. Today I looked outside and there were no chickens in the pen, only a dead one with a hawk over it. I ran outside, and the hawk flew away. I ran into the pen and picked up Onyx. She peeped once and died. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . I loved her so much. R.I.P Onyx...why is it that four chickens, none of them full grown, have been killed this year??? I found Sage in the nestbox, Asha in a neighbors yard, and Buckbeak sheltering between a tree and the fence. I put them in a dog kennel and they're huddled together, shaking. I miss my baby [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    so very sorry. give them all cuddles from us.

3. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    Sorry for your loss. You have to be vigilant, the predators are always looking for a chance to get a meal. I love my Cochin bantams and worry about them all the time.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your losses. Hawks and eagles are our main predator here. We have more problems with them in the cooler months.

5. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    [​IMG] So sorry for your loss.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    This time of year the hawks are migrating. I'm so sorry for your loss. Be very careful b/c he will probably be back. I've got one lurking around that I haven't seen all summer.

7. Momma on a Mission

Momma on a Mission Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Seymour, IN
    We have hawk nests all around our area. We have covered our run and the coop is completely enclosed. Praying that we got our i's dotted and t's crossed. [​IMG]

8. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That Darn Hawk [​IMG] !Sorry for your Loss. Rest In Peace, Onyx . [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :

9. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    [​IMG] so sorry for your loss [​IMG] we can get very attached to them and it's sad when they pass [​IMG]

10. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG] darn hawk. What a pretty name she had, Onyx ... My stupid dog killed my Exchequer Leghorn, Gorgeous, last spring ... I finally got another one, named her Gorgeous too, and the old bast**d got her this morning ... I'm done with that dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by