I never would have thought this possible!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NewToFarming, Aug 7, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    We have a stray cat show up on our farm and had come to find him and the chickens get along fine. I was a nervous wreck about him being here but had found him out laying right with the chickens during their afternoon nap!! [​IMG]

This is how I had found them today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    The cat looks healthy. Some one must have dumped it.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Cute pics! My cats do the same thing with my girls too! I love it!! [​IMG]

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They have their benefits. You always get mice or rats when you have chickens. Those furry friends help deal with that.

When Barbara showed up as a 3 month old half starved kitten I was worried just like you. Mamma hen had very young chicks at that time and educated Barb that first day. Took 2 days to get that terrified kitten to come out of the feed building.

She has been here a year now as a permanent residence. We had her fixed and is kept up-to-date on her shots. She is an outside lap cat, and a great hunter. Ain't seen a mouse in a year. She ignores the chicks/chickens and avoids a mother hen like the plaque.

Matt

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I do believe he was dropped off too. It took awhile for him to trust me but after he finally did, he just loves attention. I have only been in this farm since the end of May and have had 2 cats and 1 boston terrier show up and I bet there will be alot more. The other cat has made his home under our smokehouse and stays away from the chickens. I don't think the chickens like him like they do the other one. I found six of the chickens had him surrounded one day. Poor thing was scared to death!

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    We had a stray adopt us shortly after we got here in April. She is great with the chickens and ducks too. Just a few weeks ago one of the girls got past us when we were locking up the coop and she snuck past us. Well later when I went to feed the cat I could not find her. I walked around and finally saw her head peeking out from under the coop. When I bent down, I saw that she was lying in front of the EE as if she were protecting her for the night. I put the girl back in the coop and gave Angel some treats.

Some cats are indeed a blessing...Angel sure has been. She is a great hunter of mice and critters too.

Here is Angel watching everyone in the yard....

[​IMG]

We found out her owners left for Florida back in October and left her to fend for herself with a bag of cat food in a shed...mind you it was April when she showed up in our barn...so she is now OUR cat. Hellz Bellz will freeze over before anyone takes her from here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Your photo looks like it could be from our yard! We have a "cow kitty" like that one too.

Ours is a great friend to the chickens. When he patrols, the chickens drift after him. I think that he does not consume everything he catches and they help him!

8. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Cetawin, I just love your story about Angel! What a great kitty! [​IMG]

Our DeeDaa is pretty protective of chicks any time we have them. She has to accompany me to the brooder every morning to count and make sure everyone is just fine. I wish my computer hadn't crashed at the same time I was hatching out my current flock. I had some great pictures of DeeDaa giving various different chicks face washings.

Dang! I sure wish now that I had let her have at least one litter of kittens. I bet she would have made an awesome momma! Now that they're all grown up, she still keeps an eye on everyone and spends the majority of her nights out on hunting forays. The chickens just love all of the furry little treats laying around in the morning! [​IMG]

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:Maybe there is something to these blue cats. Here is Barbara that I posted about above.
    [​IMG]
    (click picture for fullsize version)
    She has bright yellow eyes. Her bobtail is not genetic. It was torn off by a dog before she got her. We found where she came from and got the story from her useless PREVIOUS owners.

Matt

Edited to add the link to the full size picture.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Your cats are gorgeous! I loved hearing the stories about them! I think we will keep ours around also, he is a good boy. I will just now need ideas for a name! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by