I noticed a weird trait on my pigeon... should i be concerned?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by GOLDENSEABRIGHT, Jan 3, 2017.

1. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

GOLDENSEABRIGHT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    About three weeks ago i finally discovered what looked different between my two jacobin pigeons. The female's right eye is solid black however she can see perfectly well. i am just curious what causes this.

2. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Mar 4, 2014
    Oh and i need to know what happens when i mate two pigeons with different colors. do the colors fuse or do they look like only one of the parents

3. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Sounds like you just have a rare eye color, but nothing to worry about. Well, that all depends on the parents genes.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I have 2 pigeons like that... one black eye and one coloured one.

In my case I know what happened... because my Old Dutch Capuchines mated with my white homers. My homers all have black eyes. The Capuchines have pearl coloured eyes. So the babies got one black eye from the homer parent and one coloured eye from the Capuchne parent. Sadly they did not inherit their capuchins crests. But they look like bald eagles.. with white heads, black body and white tail and wing feathers.

So in answer to your question.... you don't have to worry.. just enjoy your unusual looking pigeon!

Pigeon genetics for colour can be complicated. Your breed is similar to my Dutch Capuchines. In my birds I find the following....

Solid colours both parents the same colour = solid coloured offspring same colour as parents.
    Black mated with red = red offspring... so red must be dominant to black in these birds.

If a splash colour is mated with a solid coloured bird = pied or more splash coloured birds

I would say give it a go and see what you get. However, keep records so you know that if you have any offspring from mixed colour matings... in the future they will probably not breed true to their own colour.... because they will have mixed genes and hidden colours in their makeup.

5. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That's really interesting!

6. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Mar 4, 2014
    Oh wow thanks... its nice to have a unique pigeon. Now that spring is coming soon i plan two pair two pigeons up and she is one. i hope she produces well. Any tips to help with breeding and such?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have always heard solid black eyes referred to as a 'bulleye'. Most of my rollers had ivory eyes, and homers can have a wide variety of beautiful eye colors.

8. GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Mar 4, 2014
    Now that you say that i remember somebody telling me about that. However i am not sure how i need to trim my jacobins' feathers... any tips?

9. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Why do you want to trim their feathers... I presume because you want to try to breed them right?

Simply give them a 'hair' cut. You only need to trim the feathers short on their hoods (so they can see clearly to feed their babies). Also its good to trim the feather short around their bottoms... so they can breed more easily without long fluffy feathers getting in the way, so to speak.

The end look of the feather trimming should result in your birds looking like the Old Dutch Capuchin Pigeons......you can start a new job as a pigeon hair dresser.

10. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    bull eyes in some breeds are a fault if you plan on showing trimming a jac is so they can see and feed the young plus the vent feathers to help in mating jacs are one of those breeds where long loose feathers are wanted and you must make adjustments to help in breeding them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by