1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I now have 50. - Update Make that 51 now....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Sep 29, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I havent been on here much lately as I started hatching early ( for Australian conditions ) and having so many- they are just keeping me so busy. I cant believe I actually have so many ducks ducklings...and goslings!!! I bought the 6 goslings but have hatched most of the others myself. Even when growing up as a teenager on a farm I dont remember ever having this many. My oldest littlest one hatched this year has even just started laying. She is now 19 weeks old and such a sweet little girl.

Here are a few recent pics..

[​IMG]

Now just over two months old- this lot of 6 to hatch are all girls.

[​IMG]

This is my newest to start laying...Stevie - Ray spent a day in a kids petting pen and met some chickens for the first time. The goslings I brought home were there too- and I couldnt resist buying them all.

[​IMG]

This is Noggin.. the result of some experimental colour breeding to aim for a runner that looks similar in colour to a saxony. Not quite their yet...But he still has a molt to go before his true adult colour will show.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting 'red feet' on that white runner.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

they are waaay awesome [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Are those booties on that white duck? Cute!

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its a pair of Nettie's duck shoes. They sure made the kids smile!! Seeing a duck wearing shoes was a real novelty for them.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Well done Ducky. You have been busy [​IMG] I have a question for you. I recently purchased 2 Indian runners as babies. What age should I be able to tell boy from girl and what should I be looking for to tell them apart. I thought I had bought runners a while ago but they turned out not to be. These actually are this time.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Well done Ducky!! they sure are adorable. and those geese are precious too. So your final count is 50 after all??

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Well...it might be 51 tomorrow morning..I was turning some eggs for the last time as I placed them in the hatching tray this morning...and saw a beak in an airsac of one egg. A little early theis one...eager to get out of the egg.

Satay...You can hear a change in the voice from about three- 4 weeks old...The girls voice is more of a quack and the boys have a rapsy voice.

9. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Awesome! You are a BUSY bee. Beautiful ducks and geese! ( and chickens. lol)

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, so lovely!!!!
    [​IMG]

(Still so grateful for all your help this year!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by