I now have a parasitic bird..HELP!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jul 20, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    And it's name is Leech and/or Buster.

It's a Robin. Seems to be about 3 weeks old? This is NOT my photo, but it could be this bird's twin:
    http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSYBkvUE1zd372l8uOs5dFtKh3FsTMS2MbOPp2Hmsle5QmSqH7cw&t=1

Here I was, driving along behind a semi truck. The truck ran over this "thing" in the road. Somehow this bird either went inbetween the tires or I have no idea how it made it. I turned around and went back to make sure it got off the road. I caught it as it was running back onto the road. The parents were up overhead so I put it in the forest. It ran back to the road. Put it further in the forest, ran back to the road, chasing after me. I put it even further in the forest and RAN to my car. Guess who was at the road waiting?

So...I took it with me. I've contact a rehabber, but so far no word back. I've given it some meal worms and crickets. Until they get back to me, is there anything I need to know? Do I need to give it water? Each time it peeps, do I feed it? Or at least, how often do I need to feed it? Are crickets and meal worms ok? Or do I need to get worms?​

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Moistened dry dog food is a lot easier to catch, and you won't have to chew up the dog food and half digest it for the baby to keep it from sticking in its throat or crop.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Moistened down dog food works pretty well for them or cheap canned dog food, the ground up kind......

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Really?? All I have to do? How do I feed that? Do I still have to shove it down it's throat with my fingers?

5. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    You can either use canned dog food or thoroughly soaked dry food. (We recently raised a baby wren.)
    If grasshoppers are in abundance you can try tearing off the back legs and seeing what the baby does with it.

Put a small dish of water (try using Mason jar lids) wherever the bird is.

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Quote:Try using some tweezers. We used plastic tweezers and shoved bite-size (bird bite-size, that is) chunks about halfway down its throat. The end of a plastic spoon works, too.

You should feed it about every twenty minutes, especially if it is chirping its head off.

7. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Just take a little bit of wet canned food and gently put in it's mouth--have a q-tip ready to GENTLY push just to the back and make sure it goes down. NO water--a mother doesn't bring her babies water, so don't give water either. Many people think they need water and try to give it to them and they end up aspirating. Good luck!

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont put food down its throat if its not bobbing its head... or you can choke it.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    At this stage it should take the food pretty readily without sticking it in the mouth. He'll be flying fairly soon.

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    He opens his moth whenever he sees me. Definite bobbing. He's started understanding that if I put food in he better close his mouth or it's gonna fall out. How often do I need to feed him? Really wish the rehabbers would call back..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by