I now have only one duck...what now?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Geckogrl133, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Geckogrl133

Geckogrl133 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    southern Mn
    So my duck Aflac passed away this morning after possible botulism or hardware poisoning. This is the first duck death I have dealt with since I'm new to ducks. We only had the two girls and now The other one is alone. she was with Aflac when she passed, and she's being pretty vocal today when generally she's not. I don't know really if there is anything that I can do for her, but she's never been alone so I'm not sure if she will be okay or if I should be looking to get her a few more companions. What do I do? Any insight, advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Here's a picture of the girls together last week
    [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

So sad for your loss. Your duck would do better with another duck friend or two, as she was close to Aflac. They grieve, from what I have seen (we lost two to egg yolk peritonitis, and one to an undetermined cause).

Meanwhile if you can find a stuffed animal and a nonbreakable mirror that might help. There is a rehoming forum on BYC, and there are rescue groups here and there, too.

3. Geckogrl133

Geckogrl133 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    southern Mn
    I was thinking more ducks would be good, I just wasn't sure what she would be like until then. I will put a stuffed animal in there tomorrow so she has some company. She followed all over the yard today and my heart broke for her. Thanks for the advice Amiga :)

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Hi Geckogrl133! Sorry for your loss. I want to tell you that last week I adopted a drake who was all alone. He seems much happier being with others, even tho there are still adjustment issues due to him being the new guy. I would suggest that you seriously think about getting at least one friend for your duck. Alone, I just don't think they thrive. I think that this time of year, many folks look at thinning down their flocks, so you shouldn't have a horrible time finding one. Have you went over to the "Where Am I? Where Are You" Forum for your state? You might pop in there and ask if anyone has a duck they'd be willing to give you, or maybe a drake plus another duck to bring your flock to 3. The only concern I'd have about adding just one drake would be if he turned out to be too aggressive on your one duck, that's why I say if you've got to get a drake, try to adopt a pair. Then of course, you'll want to think of Biosecurity, make certain any new additions are healthy, since you don't want the new ones bringing any bugs to yours. I really think getting more is the answer! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by