I now have poisin ivy because of my coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ragerkid2, May 19, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    My father and I are building a coop for the 17 chicks we have. I was in my woods getting rocks to put around my coop and the next few days i found out the hard way that im allergic to Poison Ivy [​IMG] . I have it all over my body! Im so itchy! It is awful. Completely awful!!!! I bought an ANTI ITCH cream... My chickens better freaking lay 1903892901230000000 eggs a day [​IMG]
    O well Hopefully this wont last long... Any thing to help clear up Poison Ivy??

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Try Cortizone-10 ointment it may help. Otherwise get to a doctor because the stuff can get really nasty if it gets internal. I'm fortunate in that I'm not allergic but my wife, who has had desensitizing treatment for it, is very much so. BTW, chickens are immune but can carry the oil on their feathers--something to thing about if they are going to free range. Good luck.

3. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    if its really all over your body call a doc. that stuff can really take a toll on you.

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    As a kid that got it every summer. I am VERY sorry. Phels Naptha Soap. Calmine lotion. Oatmeal baths. Keep your hands in cloth gloves. Slap do not scratch. Do not touch your face!

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I agree with the previous post. If you really have it ALL OVER YOUR BODY you need to see a Dr.

[​IMG] Retired Nurse

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Add a cup of Clorox to a tub of bath water. Soak and dry off gently. It helps dry the poison ivy up. If you get the clorox treatment right away after being exposed, you might not even break out. Good luck.

7. motoclown

motoclown Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    New Castle, PA
    This is the first year in a dozen that I haven't had it yet.
    We have had rain almost every day this spring, or I would have been out playing in it.

It can get bad in some folks, like my daughter, she had to get a steroid shot last year for it.

EDIT*( It can be in your clothes and on your shoes, so wash them good.)

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Witch hazel, keep it in fridge, works good on poison ivy and sunburn

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the others in regards to the suggestion that if it's all over your body, see a physician.

Having had bouts of this every year for the past 35 years, I've found that simply running hot water over the rash helps tremendously. The myth that one needs to avoid hot water as it causes the rash to spread is just that; a myth.

Get in the shower and very slowly turn the water up as hot as you can stand it without scalding yourself. You will feel about 20 to 30 seconds of intense itching as the histamines in your skin are released (histamines are what causes the itching). Then the itching will cease until the level of histamine builds up again. This will take anywhere form 4 to 6 hours, giving to some peace to sleep at night if the shower is taken right before going to bed.

Normally a bout of poison ivy/oak/sumac will last about 2 weeks for me. Since using the "hot water" treatment, the rashes are significantly dried up by the end of the first week.

You have my sympathy on this one!

Gail

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Internally? Oh my. Alls I have is anti itching cream. And it is soooooooo so so so so freaking itchy I can't help but scratch. The itchy ness is going down science I got the cream...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by