I now officially feel sorry for everyone where it freezes regularly!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    While I've always felt bad for all you in the frozen north, I now understand on a small scale what you have to deal with everyday! Yesterday the waterers were all frozen solid...as well as the outside faucets, even though they were insulated and left slightly running all night. The temp was around 19 on Sunday night and didn't reach much above 35 yesterday.

Last night it was 16 degrees here in sunny north central Florida and of course, they are frozen solid again!! AAAGGGHHHH!!!

I guess the biggest issue is that we don't have all the available items, like heated dog bowls, etc that are available in colder climates.

Oh well...only 2 more nights in the 20's and it will be warming up again. [​IMG] The chickens don't seem to mind the cold at all. We did hang a 250 watt red heat bulb in each pen and the silkies make piles underneath it.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I feel bad for all of you in frozen Florida. [​IMG] Spent yesterday in a teeshirt doing yardwork. It was in the 50s and partially sunny. Had to chase the chickens out of the flower beds as they were trying to eat all the tender shoots, as things are starting to bloom.

Imp- I might even have a touch of sunburn [​IMG]

funny post oldtimegator,

Thanks for the morning chuckle. Hope you do well through your freeze.

3. thetajmahalcoop

thetajmahalcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    nunda ny
    yeah it was -12 yesterday morning here, has been brutally cold for >3 weeks now.....I am soooooo ready to go to FL in March! It better warm up by then!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You've had a rough time. Your homes and coops are made for vbentilation not for conserving heat, and it makes all the difference.

It's bitter here today, -13C and windy. My hens are in, they have lots of room to scratch, fly and run, and since it's going to be this way for a week or so, I want them out of the wind.

But thank you- we know that ya'll are more sympathetic to the north, now! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Eh, it's not all that bad. We're ready for it and used to it for one thing. Though I have to admit, when we start getting below normal, I can't handle it either. I think having the inside of your sinuses freeze is the worst part of it all.

I've been walking around with my coat unzipped today -- I mean, it's 21 already! A vast improvement over last week [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The other thing is that many folks here don't even OWN a decent jacket. They just throw on a sweater and make a dash from the car to the building in which they work. By the time they get off work, it's warm again.

I have a fair amount of warm gear because I am outdoors as much as I can be. I don't have any warm shoes though. [​IMG] I wear Crocs all the time...even dress Crocs to work. So I just put on a pair of socks with them and hope my feet don't freeze. [​IMG]

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I opened the door this morning to let the dogs out and I thought it's down right balmy out here. It was 29 degrees. The best part was when I went out to take care of the chickens you could tell they FELT SO MUCH BETTER. They were already off the roost and just waiting for me to open the door so they could go out for once. Highs from Wed. thru the weekend is mid 40's, were did I pack my shorts?????

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I thought the same thing this morning when I took my dog out......it was 19 and it felt so nice!!

9. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Thanks for your thoughts. But, gosh, it sooo beautiful here in the north. And playing in the snow is loads of fun. I've attached a few photos that show just how pretty it gets. And the forecast for later this week is 30 degrees - a heat wave!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I just opened up my coop first time in 2 weeks. I'm in southern Iowa. I have a heater but just can't keep up with bitter cold temps. I have some frostbite on combs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by