1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I officially love birds!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ekofke201, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    I have not even gotten my first batch (EVER!) of chickens, but I am convinced that would like to add ducks to the mix at some point. Do you keep them in with your chickens? WIll they stay in the coop with the chickens? Or do I have to keep them separated? Will they get into my creek and never return?

I have not done much, if any, research on ducks specifically. So, any information would be appreciated!

2. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

I was in the same boat as you a couple months ago. Hadn't even gotten our first chicks in yet and I wanted more chicks, ducks, you name it. You can keep your ducks with your chickens, some prefer it, some say they would never do it. I don't have my duckies yet so I'm basing all this off of what I have read on here. The ducks will make it messy as far as their water goes because they will be splashing and playing. Plus you run the risk of having a chicken drown in any pool or buckets you put in there. As far as going to your creek... If you get a flying breed like Mallards or Muscovies, I'd recommend clipping their wings if you dont have a covered run (which is a good idea anyway because it will keep out hawks). But ducks like routine and could be allowed to roam and go to the creek as long as you establish a routine of coming home to be locked up every night. Like I said, this is all based on what I've read and my personal opinion. I recommend typing "ducks and chickens together" into the search bar of BYC Forums. You'll get plenty of info to wade through. Good luck!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  4. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    Wow! Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by