I officially own the most gender confused hen ever.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Definitely. My Rhode Island Red, Alabama has decided to go broody... in September. And yesterday I took her out of the nest for a nice cool dunk in some water to cool her down. As she heads back over to the other hens I hear a weird flapping noise. I turn around and here is Alabama, soaking wet on top of one of my pullets trying to mate with her but she seems off balance because of the water and she just repeatedly tries to mate with this poor pullet who does not seem to mind. I have seen her do this before but never while she was broody! So Alabama thinks: 1) I am a rooster as she does the egg squat for me. 2) She is a rooster. 3) She is going to be a mother. [​IMG]

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens will mount other hens/pullets. It is a pecking order thing.

3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Did not know that...thanks.

One of the new one year old cinnamon queens I got a while back was doing it to by 6 month old RIR's. I was shocked. Had to separate them eventually anyway because it was going beyond pecking order. My 6 month olds were getting hurt.[​IMG]

4. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    one of my hens has started crowing...

5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I suspect that the pullet in question was probably laughing at her and made some inappropriate comment. This pullet was being taught the meaning of the phrase "madder than a wet hen". [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. michelleshenhouse

michelleshenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    This pullet was being taught the meaning of the phrase "madder than a wet hen".

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by