1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I only have 3 male ducks, and I have an egg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iajewel, Mar 17, 2011.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have 3 Moscovy Drakes. No hens, none.. yet in a nest yesterday where the ducks sleep I found a duck egg. Yes, Im sure it was a duck egg. I even ask my room mate to look at and feel a chicken egg.. then.. I said "now hold this one" He said "wow, this one is different, its smoother" so.. its not just me.. its a duck egg. I know some poultry change sex, but how common is that in ducks?

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Any chance a female mallard could have flown in for a visit?

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Don't know about ducks, but my Grandmother had a male parakeet that would lay eggs. [​IMG]

4. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    There is no chance any other animal especially from the air could have come in. I have an Akbash dog that watches the sky, and land for anything that isn't his. Also the egg was in a nest that is tucked back where a wild animal wouldn't be comfortable getting to. It was in a nest of chicken eggs. The other option is my chickens laid a very unusual shell? but that porcilan shell that ducks have is very unique and I seriously don't think a chicken is capable of it.

5. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    I have heard of female chickens turning to males! how bizar... are you completely sure one aint female? .. I have a young muscovy (not known anything about them until this one) growing up. one day im convinced its a female the next day im convinced its male.. any other duck i can tell guess right about what sex they are ....

keep us posted, see if you get more eggs

6. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Oh yes, the are.. or were .. all 3 males.
    Years ago my son had a black Orphington who he showed to Best in breed and best American ( I think don't remember) anyway.. he showed the bird as both a hen and a rooster.. it changed sex and it was so very clear that even the judges couldn't tell. That bird took everything any show we went to.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!! there is no such thing as a chicken changing it's sex, whoever you heard that from is whacky LOL or watches too much Oprah hehehehe.

The OP has a hen Duck that was miss ID'd that's all.

AL

8. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Im telling you that yes.. chickens can and do change sex.. I have had it happen before. It was years ago but my son had a bird he showed as a hen, 2yrs later that same bird changed and was shown as a rooster. Now if a Judge thinks its a rooster or a hen.. who am I to argue?

Its possible but not likely that my drake was miss ID'ed.. There is a real differences between the hens and drakes and its pretty obvious in adults. These birds are coming a year old this spring.

It is more common for a female to become a male due to the the fact a hen only uses her left overy, and the right one may sometimes produce testosterone. Its rare, but it can happen. The male to female is something I can't even get to come up on Google, so.. its probably very unlikely. However.. this still will not explain away the duck egg.

9. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
  10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I think I will try to look and see if I can find some credible evidence of this phenomium. You have made some compeling statements so I am curious to check it out.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by