1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I ordered 6 with one male and they sent me 12 with lots of males!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by reikichan2002, Sep 12, 2012.

1. reikichan2002

reikichan2002 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2012
    Central Virginia
    So I went to the post office to pick up my ducklings this morning and was surprised to find 2 boxes instead of one...when I got home there were 6 ducklings in each box ...the one box has 3 males and the other has 1 male. 12 ducklings with 4 males....too many drakes right? I am new at this but I think that might be an issue. Oy...

Now what to do? I guess I will have to go to the swap and get rid of some of the males...

If you are in the central VA area I have 2 Pekin drakes, 1 Blue Swedish Drake and 1 Khaki Campbell drake to swap or sell.

They are all awfully cute and very very active! Making a mess already!

Sigh....[​IMG]

Dot

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hmmm, four boys, eight girls. That is just too close to comfort. Three boys and nine girls would have been the low end of the recommended ratio of 1 to 3.

Wow.

Here's a bad idea for you. Since the hatchery made the error, would they send you four more girls for free?

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Duck World!

3. Ana Tidae

Ana Tidae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    I have 2 boys for every 4 girls and don't have any issues. If you have extra girls and don't want that big of a flock, you might make a little money selling a couple pairs.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I doubt they would give you any credit or more ducks if they sent you extras to start with. Craig's list may be the way to go.

5. reikichan2002

Sep 5, 2012
    Central Virginia
    LOL...def a bad idea to get 4 more! My husband is not thrilled... I was not expecting this many...16 would be over the top. [​IMG] I'm sure someone will want them...

Thanks!
    Dot

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    why did they ship you two boxes? I would be calling since it was an error on their part. Might be someone missing an order that was miss shipped to you. To rehome, local swaps and craigslist would both work. Most dont want just drakes though so offering pairs will move then quicker.

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    What hatchery did you order from? You may want to check your bill as well to be sure they didn't charge you twice!

8. reikichan2002

Sep 5, 2012
    Central Virginia
    It was McMurray...still not sure if I have been charged for all...have to look at my credit card statement to see.

9. WillsC

WillsC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    They had extra drakes so they sent them for free......fine if you are the sort to camp the extra drakes but if not it is a pain.

10. reikichan2002

Sep 5, 2012
    Central Virginia
    We're just going to keep all of them and see how it goes...if it becomes an issue when they start to mate my husband says he can take some to work to live on the pond there....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by